Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

is this an 'ok' setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is this an 'ok' setup?

i currently hate my monsoon radio. Speakers suck as well.. If i upgrade to a good pioneer headunit and get alpine type S or type R speakers, will it sound reasonably decent? Just speakers and a headunit. No sub/amp..
Old 04-21-2008, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to say, because of the following:

If you change the front door speakers, you will not make full use of the monsoon amp since factory had components there (coaxially mounted). The Monsoon amp has different crossover points set that would cause components not to sound their best there, but it would be an improved sound that many don't mind or seem to notice. Results will vary depending on the speaker you choose.

If you use coaxials up front, power them with the Monsoon's woofer wires, or preferably the HU, IMO.

But the Monsoon system still doesn't give your front components too much power and one pair of coaxial speakers may not satisfy you...and if you ditch the hatch speakers, you may find that an amp would be desired if you go with components. If you go with lower powered coaxials up front, off of deck power, you may not be happy with the volume then. So you could put more coaxials in the sail panels...but then suddenly you're lacking bass because you got rid of your sail panel "subs".... and to run full range there anyway, you'll have to pull hatch wires forward or run new wires from the deck. With less bass, you may want a sub now.........etc etc....