Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need some speaker help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some speaker help

Does this look like a decent speaker to replace the OEM ones that are next to your ears when you sit in the back of the 99 Trans Am?

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...3GTX662&tp=105

Crutchfield says it fits my car. One of them is cracking like crazy and I'm really getting sick of it. They're on sale for $49.99 at the moment. The OEM one isn't exactly round, so I'm not sure exactly how to measure it. If I go from screw hole to screw hole, it's about 6 1/2". Is this the right way to figure out the size of the speaker?

Would something like this be better?

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...KFC1661&tp=105

I don't need anything great, I just want something that won't blow the first time I turn up the volume and is relatively cheap.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You should spend some time reading some of the hundreds of discussions about replacing the sail panel speakers. Neither of those choices will work well if you keep the factory amp. The factory configuration has DVC (dual voice coil) subs in the sail panels. The signal there is bass only so coaxial speakers like you selected will sound terrible. And you'll be back asking which of the two pairs of wires on each side you should connect.

There are a couple of aftermarket 6.5" subs that will fit and are DVC to match the factory wiring. In your case, the Bazookas require the least installation work (no spacers) so they'd probably be your best choice. Check with Kee Audio for price and availability.