Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sound keeps flickering in and out

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sound keeps flickering in and out

Alright guys, here's the story

I just recently installed another amp for my sub. I have one amp powering my speakers, and one just for the sub. I had the left side speakers disconnected ever since the sub install, because I needed some more wire. I just got around to that today, and hooked everything up. Everything sounded fine. Just an hour ago I took the car out, and as soon as I turned the radio on, the sound will cut out completely, leaving only the far rear (hatch) speakers on. It flickers in and out randomly. Sometimes it'll be fine for a while, sometimes it'll go nuts. What i did notice is if I turn my bass up a decent amount it tends to go out faster. I don't know if this was just a coincidence or not, so don't base the situation all on that.. While the radio was cutting out I jiggled all the wires in the amp and it didn't seem to change anything. Also i have 4 pairs of speaker wires going into my amp, so I think the rear hatch speakers are powered by the head unit.
Thanks in advance
Old 06-16-2008, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

Just wanted to add, if ALL the speakers are going out except for the ones that aren't powered by the amp, i'm guessing it's a power issue. Me and my dad just put all the power wires back in the distribution block, and made sure everything is good. Now my question is, this car has always had one amp, and I added a 2nd one. I only have a standard car battery, not an optima or anything like that. It looks like it was running at 11-12 volts when the car was running. When the car is off, it's in the red zone.. And it cranks somewhat slow to start. What do you guys think?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

fixed it...
Old 06-17-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
fixed it...
So.... what was the problem?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Well one of the speakers I bought, it's ground terminal ripped off. So i kinda ghetto-wired it so that the wire would still make contact. It must've been sending a bad signal to the amp. I was watching the amp earlier today and when the sound would cut off, the amp's protection mode light would come on. I unplugged the speaker and it fixed it lol. I ripped all my new speakers out cause they suck and i'm sending them back.