Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

***OFFICIAL*** poast you’re Dragy street vids thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
12.6 isn't bad for a modded LS1 dang!

no you’re full mod fox can’t do that on the street!
Old 05-02-2019, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Be great for change comparisons.....which is really all i use a drag strip for.
yup it’s a pretty sweet tool. Just like me
Old 05-02-2019, 11:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
What are the reasons? I've seen numerous examples where its within .1 in the quarter mile and within 2MPH in the half mile of actual timing equipment. I agree its not a 100% replacement, but certainly close enough to have some fun in winter when track is closed or to know how a car performs that the owner doesn't want to take to the track for whatever reason.
As I said above, its great for a ballpark. The problem is that on other platforms people are using these things to replace drag strip times and claim "first to xx et/xxx mph".

Keeping this short, the issues are A) the GPS receiver has a 10Hz refresh rate...that is 10 times a second, so calculating times to .0x when you only refresh every .x is no bueno, and B) the inherent error in commercial grade GPS is ~5 meters. I've talked to multiple people who have one and they can run multiple passes back to back on multiple occasions and sometimes they line up and sometimes they dont. Shoot, being a tenth off a track time is awesome....just not when people are trying to claim records with it, which is the new craze. I've seen at least one instance of a platform claiming first in the 11's because their Dragy said they ran an 11.95. Sorry go to the track and back it up.

The new L5 band of GPS will give accuracy to less than 1ft and they already have 100 Hz GPS receiver's available but they have other issues (noise). Yes the current Dragy also has an accelerometer and timing, which also all have error, and again the sampling rate is too low to perform proper filtering and analytics on it to throw out outliers during a run. For reference, I designed and built a ruggedized data acquisition device that samples in the 10's of kilohertz so I have some clue about this despite what Hammer's 3rd grade posts would have you think
Old 05-02-2019, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
As I said above, its great for a ballpark. The problem is that on other platforms people are using these things to replace drag strip times and claim "first to xx et/xxx mph".

Keeping this short, the issues are A) the GPS receiver has a 10Hz refresh rate...that is 10 times a second, so calculating times to .0x when you only refresh every .x is no bueno, and B) the inherent error in commercial grade GPS is ~5 meters. I've talked to multiple people who have one and they can run multiple passes back to back on multiple occasions and sometimes they line up and sometimes they dont. Shoot, being a tenth off a track time is awesome....just not when people are trying to claim records with it, which is the new craze. I've seen at least one instance of a platform claiming first in the 11's because their Dragy said they ran an 11.95. Sorry go to the track and back it up.

The new L5 band of GPS will give accuracy to less than 1ft and they already have 100 Hz GPS receiver's available but they have other issues (noise). Yes the current Dragy also has an accelerometer and timing, which also all have error, and again the sampling rate is too low to perform proper filtering and analytics on it to throw out outliers during a run. For reference, I designed and built a ruggedized data acquisition device that samples in the 10's of kilohertz so I have some clue about this despite what Hammer's 3rd grade posts would have you think
yet it’s deadly accurate when tested against track timers so you’re to electronics what Al Gore is to climate science
Old 05-02-2019, 11:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by big hammer
yet it’s deadly accurate when tested against track timers so you’re to electronics what Al Gore is to climate science
Thanks for proving my point.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

seems pretty cool. might have to pick one up. looks like its only 149 bucks?
Old 05-02-2019, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
seems pretty cool. might have to pick one up. looks like its only 149 bucks?
yup then download the free app
Old 05-02-2019, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

no you’re full mod fox can’t do that on the street!
Yes it would be much faster oops dang and pow!
Old 05-02-2019, 12:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider

Ahh yes I agree with that, you can't claim a drag racing track record without a timeslip period! But I could see if both parties are using dragy, I suppose they could claim the "dragy record" for whatever that's worth. Really all the records themselves have gotten out of control, seems everyone in racing wants a participation trophy. Whatever happened to just racing to have fun? That's how I would classify this device, to have fun but not a replacement for a time slip. That said comparing timeslips from different tracks also varies, some have minor slope, some not exact length, others have different surfaces, some have inherently better DA by location, etc.. so really both sides have variables.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

yup then download the free app
will this work on a flip phone?
Old 05-02-2019, 12:18 PM
10 Second Club

Ahh yes I agree with that, you can't claim a drag racing track record without a timeslip period! But I could see if both parties are using dragy, I suppose they could claim the "dragy record" for whatever that's worth. Really all the records themselves have gotten out of control, seems everyone in racing wants a participation trophy. Whatever happened to just racing to have fun? That's how I would classify this device, to have fun but not a replacement for a time slip.

That said comparing timeslips from different tracks also varies, some have minor slope, some not exact length, others have different surfaces, some have inherently better DA by location, etc.. so really both sides have variables.
Meh, its as close as you can get without trying to do DA correction on your timeslip....and much more repeatable than GPS.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by spikestang
will this work on a flip phone?
only for 2v and 3v mustangs
Old 05-02-2019, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hams is funny. Trying to look special?? That is not a bone stock firehawk period. I drove my 01 SS for two years "stock" except for replacing the stamped steel suspension components. So my car wasn't really stock. Also with 25.6" rear tire, 3.42 gear, & 6k rpm it should pull to 130+ in fourth. Looks like you got them 4.11 gears rollin as only 118mph in fourth.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
Hams is funny. Trying to look special?? That is not a bone stock firehawk period. I drove my 01 SS for two years "stock" except for replacing the stamped steel suspension components. So my car wasn't really stock. Also with 25.6" rear tire, 3.42 gear, & 6k rpm it should pull to 130+ in fourth. Looks like you got them 4.11 gears rollin as only 118mph in fourth.
the cars name is Firestock are you dum
Old 05-02-2019, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

only for 2v and 3v mustangs
shhhhh. Dont mention 2 valves
Old 05-02-2019, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Red2kZ28
12.6 @ 112 in a bone stock a LS1. Damn the MeTooCrew is gonna be SO upset over this. Nice run, Hammer.
You forgot to call this guy dumb too.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Turdinator
You forgot to call this guy dumb too.
tpu can’t tell me who to call dumb oops
Old 05-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

it's really not that far off to say it's not useful, it's a tool, I use it for dial in traction for suspension and tire changes

Old 05-02-2019, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

It’s been tested to be more accurate than a Vbox
Old 05-02-2019, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You can call me dum all you want. Not that I understand this reply either. So if it's not bone stock, & just the name, why are you calling out "bone stock coyotards"?