Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I hate Evos

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup, a TB exhaust, and some good tuning will gain usually 50+ hp at the wheels on pump gas.

i gained about 60 at the wheels with exhaust/tuning cam gears and a litlt emore boost on pump gas, and about 90 at the wheels on race gas on a low low reading dyno.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ArcAngel
Evos are not all that fast. Buddy of mine has an 06 I think. Whatever year has the leather recaros. Definately quick for what it is, but not near my SS, his is stock running 23 lbs boost, he has new BOV, and exhaust. Went from a 5mph roll, and lost him by several cars, both good drivers. I drove it and the power only comes from about 3-4.5 rpms, seems to slow down after that. Definately quick car, but imo nothing near a good LS1.
Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Ok I'll state the obvious...A BOV does nothing for power unless his stock valve was leaking. As for exhaust, for the best gains it has to be a turboback, not just a catback. So basically he's almost stock. If he were to add cams and a reflash or EMS, I can guarantee you would think different. LS1's are quick, but believe me it doesnt take much for an Evo to hang with or beat them, trust me
I agree Quik. Also ArcAngel, who races from a 5 mph roll? It's called turbo lag! That's why you walked your buddy. At 5 mph he's probably around 1000rpm! Maybe less.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Default Interesting comments

For everyone whos getting pissy about me saying that I hate Evos take it easy. I don't hate them, it was just a figure of speech. I have tons of respect for them. Anything that can keep up with an LS1 gets props from me. I even gave him a thumbs up out the window before we slowed down. Some people read way to much into these threads, and some people just comment to say something with no point. Again bottom line is the Evo was fast. Obviously not stock if it kept up. According to everyone they can't keep up. So the fact that it did, to mean makes me think it wasn't stock.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Venkman
Exactly. Cam and Longtube your car. Then show him whats up.
yea youll show him whats up alright,i thought drag racing started from a dig and from a dig it will be nothing more than ugly
Old 10-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Default 4x4 Duramax

Originally Posted by EvilDylan
yup, a TB exhaust, and some good tuning will gain usually 50+ hp at the wheels on pump gas.

i gained about 60 at the wheels with exhaust/tuning cam gears and a litlt emore boost on pump gas, and about 90 at the wheels on race gas on a low low reading dyno.
Don't brag too much or I'll drag ya with my 11.60 1/4 mile crew cab long bed Duramax diesel LOL J/K
Old 10-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Teching In

LOL

im just letting people know what gains can be made with what mods.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MetallicBluews6
Actually I do have a degree in Psychology. When I read the introduction it just seemed immature to me thats all. No big deal. I do get his point though.
damn, i was only being sarcastic and you are. i, on the other hand, am a hardcore philosiphiser
Old 10-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

I saw an evo trapping 126 MPH with low 11's at the track this summer. They can be really quick.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Teching In

sorry to jump in and put my .02 in, but imo: the only good thing evo's have is awd from a dig on the street. at the track or from rolls, they are underpowered. i give them props, and i think they loook good from the front, but their track times/records are very unimpressive compared to stock bottom end/h&c/power adder ls1 times. especially, since quickest evo runs 9s.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by evo_killer
sorry to jump in and put my .02 in, but imo: the only good thing evo's have is awd from a dig on the street. at the track or from rolls, they are underpowered. i give them props, and i think they loook good from the front, but their track times/records are very unimpressive compared to stock bottom end/h&c/power adder ls1 times. especially, since quickest evo runs 9s.
yeah but an Evo only has 2 litres. If you altered the stroke and bore of an LS1 to produce a 2 litre capacity, even with a turbo would it produce the same results?
Old 10-21-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you altered the evo to produce 5.7L and took off the turbo would it produce the same results?

To the OP....a small 75 shot should get the job done against most evos.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

After reading it again....who knows what you may need to pull on that EVo....you 2 didn't even race. So what he stayed close behind you, he could've been giving it all he had.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Gotta love when someone says "oh but it only has 2 litres".

WHO CARES IF IT HAS 2 LITRES. That's the engine that the car comes with.

It's like saying..."well if I had a turbo I would be faster". I mean come on.

Dan
Old 10-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Teching In

evo's can be DEADLY FAST my buddy has one full turbo back exhaust camms fuel boostin an tuned he went 12.40 on a FUCKED up CLUTCH, there was more in it but it started 2 rain then on the way home he couldnt go past 3500 rpm lol i was laughin so hard.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by evo_killer
I cant help but to just laugh at this.

he quickest evo's in the states are in the 9's, but out of the country they are much faster. Consider that they have only had about 2.5 years of development in the states, not bad considering.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hurley_21_07
Gotta love when someone says "oh but it only has 2 litres".

WHO CARES IF IT HAS 2 LITRES. That's the engine that the car comes with.

It's like saying..."well if I had a turbo I would be faster". I mean come on.

Dan

if you cant respect the power the 2 liter produces then you really arent an enthusiast. You are just a brand loyal fanboi, who has no real concept of the true achievment in performance. Sad if that's true.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

To me its the sound...I cant stand a fart can or a weed eater exhuast, dont care if it goes to light speed. No sound like the sound of a muscle car be it V8 (small or big block).
Who are you to call some one a "non-enthusiast"? Why? because an opinion? This is an LS1 forum what you expect? There is more to a hot rod or a muscle car than 1/4 times. Yes they are fast little engines, great performance but honestly who
Old 10-24-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I cant help but to just laugh at this.

he quickest evo's in the states are in the 9's, but out of the country they are much faster. Consider that they have only had about 2.5 years of development in the states, not bad considering.
Didn't the old DSM's have just about the same motor?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

if you cant respect the power the 2 liter produces then you really arent an enthusiast. You are just a brand loyal fanboi, who has no real concept of the true achievment in performance. Sad if that's true.
I don't think he doesn't respect something like that from a technological standpoint. If honda made a 1 liter motor making 300hp, I would respect it's acheivment, but I wouldn't respect it enough to buy one if it looked like an EVO or Civic.

If brand X makes cars that can go 6's and brand Z makes cars that can go 9's with a motor half the size.....I can't help but to respect the car going 6's better.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got walked hard by an Evo, and that was with my mild cam. It was an MR model though. I'm 100% positive it was a low 12 sec. to a high 11 sec. car though. Fool literally played with my car, and almost rear ended me several times whilst I was gunning it. Embarrassing indeed. Just means you need more mods. For those members that think Evo's suck, watch the vid of the Evo smoking Procharged 640 whp Vettes for breakfast. Quick little cars, and very easy to mod. I use to own one at one time, loved the handling.

Oh yeah, good loss.