Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

from a roll

Old 09-01-2006, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default from a roll

Why are almost all of the races that i see from a roll? 10,15,30, what happen to the good ole' dig races. if your car only does good from a roll to bad. drag racing is drag racing. The reason i say this is because last night i had an 01 GT say that he wanted to race me. I agreed. we went to the road we race at and he says he wants a 30 roll i said no from a stop thats how we do it here. i new he was stock and i have only intake and exhaust so i can take him so i agree to a 15 roll. but its not the same as a dig race!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Well I could definitely see if traction is a problem people wanting to go from a roll.... depending where you live, it may just be easier to have happen. Most races around here occur while curising Rt.37 so 45-50mph rolls ons occur often, but you also get the stoplights... :-) I like both.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Bingo. If traction is a problem...learn how to drive or lose. Most people want to go from a roll because it suits the car and their driving skills better...not because it's a better race. If it's a matter of getting the best run...do one of each...dig and roll...then the excuses for each loss can start to come flying in. Now that applies to organized agreed upon beforehand races .

Those that just happen when cruising down a freeway, etc. Well, it is what it is.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigRon77
Bingo. If traction is a problem...learn how to drive or lose. Most people want to go from a roll because it suits the car and their driving skills better...not because it's a better race. If it's a matter of getting the best run...do one of each...dig and roll...then the excuses for each loss can start to come flying in. Now that applies to organized agreed upon beforehand races .

Those that just happen when cruising down a freeway, etc. Well, it is what it is.

I gotcha man. Just last week I raced a pullied 04 Cobra... we went from a 50mph roll-on and it was a dead heat... then we get to a light and he signals for me to roll down the window... he says "I cant go from a light, no traction". He didnt want to get owned?
Old 09-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

4 reasons.

1) Dig races break parts. I don't want to be running someone and break something in the middle of the road. "Hi officer, for some reason the rear-end of my car just shattered while I was sitting here in the middle of the road. It was the craziest thing..."

2) High horsepower cars have traction problems, and I don't care how good a driver you are, losing traction is not easy to go through. Slicks? Race at the track. Street racing is for street cars.

3) Roll racing shows the faster car. I don't care what you guys say, a roll race from different speeds will show what car is truely faster.

4) Its not easy to stop in the street and do a dig race.

I love a dig as much as anybody, buts its not practical.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSINA7
4 reasons.

1) Dig races break parts. I don't want to be running someone and break something in the middle of the road. "Hi officer, for some reason the rear-end of my car just shattered while I was sitting here in the middle of the road. It was the craziest thing..."

2) High horsepower cars have traction problems, and I don't care how good a driver you are, losing traction is not easy to go through. Slicks? Race at the track. Street racing is for street cars.

3) Roll racing shows the faster car. I don't care what you guys say, a roll race from different speeds will show what car is truely faster.

Well said. I feel the exact same way.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Launching!

4 reasons.

You race anywhere, any way long enough, you will break something...you know that I'm sure.

Your points are taken, but racing is also about the driver...not just the car. If you just want to know which car is faster, take them to an open area and run flat out, or just compare dynos, gear ratios and weight and go home without running (I know, extreme, but you get my point).

Like I said. Digs are for agreed upon beforehand races. Those that just happen on the street...they are what they are.

As far as rolls from different speeds showing which car is faster...that's almost as subjective as a dig race (gearing, weight, etc.), but does take part of the driver mod out of the equation (still have to shift a stick).

It's preference, and it seems the younger generation (not that I'm old, just grew up in old school drag racing) likes to go from a roll.

It's all fun...win, lose, roll, dig.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Dig is always fun to do, but in reality, here in Cali. . .vta county or la county where the hell is there no traffic? Even rolls are difficult because all our freeways are so damn congested! Definitely easier to get in a roll race here than going from a dig, but in few years at the rate of congestion, a roll race will even be out of the question.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Teching In

What I've noticed is more people are into street cars not drag cars like before (not hating on drag cars cause there bad *** too) but street cars are able to be quick from a dig and highway and are daily drivers if you want them to be. Do to most of those cars having high HP and DR's or Z rated tires or street tires they still don't stick like slicks so running from a dig that rear end is every where plus risking that something might break. Changing slicks to street tire can get a bit annoying. Plus new cars have amazing top end. Look at the history. From 4 speeds to 6 speeds. Lots of people like feeling that top end rush. Plus from a roll you line up faster and don't look that obvious when your gonna do it but both are bad *** from a dig and a roll.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
Well said. I feel the exact same way.

i agree. well said.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

all things aside it's just much harder to catch a race on the streets as it is on an open highway. Plus on a familiar highway you know where the cops could be, on the street they can be anywhere.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:12 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Dig races are the best races.. If you can't race from a dig, because you have traction issues, get some damn sticky tires, if you have a weak rearend, buy one that isn't, If you can't drive, learn how.. I have my suspension set up and tires set up where I can run from a dig on the bottle and hook up with no problem.. The biggest excuse I hear is that I have a stock rearend I don't want to break it.. That is the number 1 bull **** excuse I hear.. Lets see your on street tires and a stock rearend on the street, your not going to hook hard enough to even come close to breaking that thing.. LMFAO..
Old 09-01-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 reasons.

The first time I have ever agreed with this guy, but he is 100% correct so I have to. Good points bro.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
The first time I have ever agreed with this guy, but he is 100% correct so I have to. Good points bro.
Damn it Doug. You just need some tires and launch time with them. Don't puss out to roll racing just yet!!!

The most fun I have in my car is trying to keep it in the traction zone while getting the most acceleration...fine line between that and a puff of white smoke.

Hey, whatever does it for you though!
Old 09-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dan03mach
Dig races are the best races.. If you can't race from a dig, because you have traction issues, get some damn sticky tires, if you have a weak rearend, buy one that isn't, If you can't drive, learn how.. I have my suspension set up and tires set up where I can run from a dig on the bottle and hook up with no problem.. The biggest excuse I hear is that I have a stock rearend I don't want to break it.. That is the number 1 bull **** excuse I hear.. Lets see your on street tires and a stock rearend on the street, your not going to hook hard enough to even come close to breaking that thing.. LMFAO..

Dig races only reveal whose the better driver and who has the most traction, roll races reveal who has the faster car. I don't like racing from a dig on the street b/c for one, i don't want to lose my car to an impound lott, 2, i didn't buy my cars to drag race everytime i had a chance, 3, i like to not have to worry about broken driveshafts, halfshalfts, clutches, diffs, etc. and 4, i don't like my car choking after the 1/4 mile b/c i ran out of gear or don't have any top end.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigRon77
Damn it Doug. You just need some tires and launch time with them. Don't puss out to roll racing just yet!!!

The most fun I have in my car is trying to keep it in the traction zone while getting the most acceleration...fine line between that and a puff of white smoke.

Hey, whatever does it for you though!

Hey BigRon, I launch nicely with those shitty EMT's. The problem is I get all nervous or something and **** everything up off the line. I bet if you were in the drivers seat of my car you would probably annihilate Fadi who left me at the line. You saw how much better I launched on the final dig against Fadi. My tires were warm and I eased her out rather then doing the 14 yr old first time with a girl I just came **** I am so embarrassed routine Sorry for the run on , but I suck at launching because I get all excited. Better tires and more practice will help
Old 09-01-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I meant to say when I line up against someone with a monster of a car I tense up and thus **** up. When I line up against someone I know I can beat I seem to do very well. Nerves and jitters. Maybe I need an auto, J/K LOL
Old 09-01-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Roll racing is a pain but thats how most street races occur. The only + to roll racing is you see what car truly has more power and there isnt much room for driver error unless a shift is missed.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:11 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Originally Posted by c5_ls1_6spd
Dig races only reveal whose the better driver and who has the most traction, roll races reveal who has the faster car. I don't like racing from a dig on the street b/c for one, i don't want to lose my car to an impound lott, 2, i didn't buy my cars to drag race everytime i had a chance, 3, i like to not have to worry about broken driveshafts, halfshalfts, clutches, diffs, etc. and 4, i don't like my car choking after the 1/4 mile b/c i ran out of gear or don't have any top end.
Yep dig races are for people who can drive there car and not scared to race.. Roll races don't always tell who has the fastest car, it still takes some driving.. The only thing about roll races is that it puts the cars in there best power band and sometimes it puts the other car out of it.. So roll races are really a fair and equal race. Now how is racing from a roll not going to lose your car to an impound lot if you get caught and a dig is? That doesn't make too much since.. I didn't buy my car to drag race all the time either but I can if the opportunity comes up. I don't have to worry about the rear-end breaking at anytime, that’s why its built up. I can run all the way to 125mph in the 1/4 mile and my top end runs out around 165mph so I have plenty of top end.. I have only pulled mine up to 155mph but after calculating tire height, tranny ratio, and rpm limiter, I had plenty left.. So it looks like to me that you have the same excuse that everyone else has.. I'll break my rear-end.. LMFAO What a joke..
Old 09-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dan03mach
Yep dig races are for people who can drive there car and not scared to race.. Roll races don't always tell who has the fastest car, it still takes some driving.. The only thing about roll races is that it puts the cars in there best power band and sometimes it puts the other car out of it.. So roll races are really a fair and equal race. Now how is racing from a roll not going to lose your car to an impound lot if you get caught and a dig is? That doesn't make too much since.. I didn't buy my car to drag race all the time either but I can if the opportunity comes up. I don't have to worry about the rear-end breaking at anytime, that’s why its built up. I can run all the way to 125mph in the 1/4 mile and my top end runs out around 165mph so I have plenty of top end.. I have only pulled mine up to 155mph but after calculating tire height, tranny ratio, and rpm limiter, I had plenty left.. So it looks like to me that you have the same excuse that everyone else has.. I'll break my rear-end.. LMFAO What a joke..

a dig race is far more obvious than a roll race...

Search this Thread