Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Difference between LS1 and LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
LT1s having better low end torque than an LS1 is a myth. LS1 and LT1 dyno graphs have proven that LS1s make just as much, if not more, torque down low than an LT1. Case in point I owned a 96 Z28 and a 2001 WS6. The LT1 cars highest torque was still lower than the the LS1 cars torque at its lowest starting point, I think it started at something like 280 tq and the LT1 car only managed 260 tq at its highest point.
well all i know is that i owned a 97 z28 a4 and i have a 99 ss m6 now. i have dynoed both and i actually raced my 97 against the 99 ss that i have now, used to be owned by a friend of mine, and my 97 would pull him all the way til 100. then of course the 99 would just walk away. maybe i had a strong lt1, thats just from my experience though.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it he is breaking traction so easily from a roll with 315s he might have more than what he is letting on. even if their cheesey tires that alot of rubber on the ground. to not be able to go from anything lower than 65mph without roasting the tires...... dunno something smells fishy with that.

isnt the quickest stock LT1 z28 time like 13.8 in the 1/4? now this is stock meaning no DRs. im sure they could achieve lower with some DR but their trap speed was crappy.

if both cars got good launches and both cars were running good. i think the lt1 could stay ahead till about the 330 mark if that. but after that point the ls1 should roll past fairly easily.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
I was going to tell him this very thing... but i decided to be nice. His tires arent great, they did spin some, but he does have 315s on 17'' Torque Thrusts. I have some traction issues in 1st gear at the high rpms (start to hop a little over 5k) but he said he cant even keep it in 2nd gear. I think he just dumps at the start of the race when just hitting the gas from a roll will suffice. either way, i forgot that since I put that distance on him from 65, going from a stop would be much worse for him. doing a roll race makes the assumption that IF he were to stay nose to nose with me up to 65 then these were the results. we did do a 45 mph race in 2nd gear and I put about a bus on him. he said he was still in 3rd... but u have to be pretty dense to try to race in 3rd at 45 through the t56.

about his traction issues, did LT1s, or camaros, or the 93s or anything about his car have a different suspension setup than my TA? He has had suspension work done, and i think its handling instead of drag, which could give these results, but i figured even a handling package will be as good if not better than stock.

roll races have nothign to do with how they will do down low... my LT1 drags a ls1 nose to nose ( i even put a fender on em) to 50... from there they jsut wave goodbye....

lt1 makes the torque sooner... the LS1 makes more and much flatter line... but comes in a little later.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
i think he needs to stop dumping it from 5k on a roll race )
he dumps the clutch on a roll race.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................. . . . . . uhhh..
Old 12-20-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when did ppl start dumping the clutch in roll races? O rly?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LastLT1
well all i know is that i owned a 97 z28 a4 and i have a 99 ss m6 now. i have dynoed both and i actually raced my 97 against the 99 ss that i have now, used to be owned by a friend of mine, and my 97 would pull him all the way til 100. then of course the 99 would just walk away. maybe i had a strong lt1, thats just from my experience though.

Its just you, or your non 01+ LS1. My 01 WS6 would have destroyed my 96Z28 by ALOT!!!!. Like i said the highest torque number on dyno was lower than my highest LS1 vs LT1. Theres just no comparison.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

I remember racing my LS1 camaro against an LT1 camaro on the way to school when my car was mostly stock with the edelbrock TES system and a loud mouth exhaust and all i can tell from the other guy was that he had an exhaust and maybe headers as well and it was a close race for a good amount of time but after around 70-80 mph, my car began to pull easy on his and he shut down at that point. So at least the LT1 car i raced was good in the beginning and the middle, but it ended up dying at the end which is what some people wrote already in response. Thats coming from 2 cars that were in good shape with probably equal the mods, maybe even the LT1 may have had some hp and torque on my car for all i knew, cause at the time my car was really stock.