Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Quick'n'easy kill...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick'n'easy kill...

btw - this kill happened several weeks ago up in Michigan (but after all the snow had melted) - just haven't had time to type it up yet. I thought it was pretty damned funny, as did the person in the passenger seat, when this occurred.

I had just replaced the Wastegate Actuator and fixed the wastegate valve sticking problem that I'm 99.9999% sure caused the actuator to fail (btw I work building these parts for prototyping, and also design them and engineer fixes for any problems we come across in production, designing/building fixtures and such) on my v8, and was driving it around with the new gauge pod, trying to figure out where the expected boost levels are for cruising, WOT, and such, just so if I do have another problem, I should be able to diagnose it before the truck dies in the middle of nowhere again.

I was fairly confident in the fix by now, and was running errands for a friend of mine (in the passenger seat - he paid for fuel, so that makes us VERY GOOD friends, lol) and we were coming up Dort from I75 coming back from a hardware store out by Clarkston (sp? - I've only been in MI for 9 months now...) and I was approaching a red light out there (idk the name of the road - never had a need to travel it) when I hear a car downshifting next to me.

I stopped at the light and looked hard in the convex mirrors trying to see what kind of car it was - the exhaust, honest to god, didn't sound like a ricer exhaust. But I quickly find out it's a beat-to-hell acura with rice company stickers all over it from my friend in the passenger seat. As the light for the other street went yellow, I start hearing the sound of a little 4-banger revving, just barely, over the loud (custom stainless) exhaust on my truck (which, btw, was idling at this point in time at ~550rpms).

So, I put this shifter in 1st (clutch down) and rev the engine to 1500rpm's, black smoke pouring out the dual exhausts, and you can hear the new GM8 Remanufactured turbo (bought it 2 months ago for just a little over $200 w/ tax - I work for the manufacturer, BorgWarner ) spooling as the boost peaks just a little over 22psi and the sound of a v8 diesel (which, btw, I LOVE) resonates off the houses nearby.

The light turned green, and even though he got the jump, by the time I shifted to second, he was even with the 6000lb trailer I was pulling at the time. By the time I hit third, it was all over, so I just lifted off the throttle, the boost pressure slowly dropped back down to 10psi (idle boost) and no more black smoke pouring out the exhaust.

He still did the ricer flyby with hazzards (even though, what with this being a diesel and all, it's pretty darned obvious when I lift, since it stops belching black smoke) . He then stuck his hand out the window at around 65mph and give me the a thumbs-down as he drove off into the distance while me and Will laughed our asses off. After all, a ~2500lb car just got it's *** WHOOPED by a 7500lb loaded truck with a loaded 6000lb trailer behind it.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats freakin hilarious..love them diesels