Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Suspension Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Need Suspension Ideas

Just went to the track today and ran a 12.33 @ 118. I have only upgraded my springs and shocks, every other suspension parts are stock. If your budget was limited what would your first suspension upgrade be?

Thanks
Rick
Old 10-18-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

Personally, I'd go with 1le LCA bushings, UMI adj. torque arm, and an adj. PH bar if your lowered.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:18 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

on a budget

poly torque arm bushing, lower control arms and LCA brackets.

really solidify the rear end
Old 10-19-2008, 07:19 PM
FormerVendor

check our site, www.trzmotorsports.com. We're also fairly local to you.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

damn, Florida peeps in here
Old 10-20-2008, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

I can see this getting expensive quickly!!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SURPRYZ
I can see this getting expensive quickly!!
c'mon now, we're not THAT expensive!! LOL!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What were your 60' times on the run? Where you spinning? wheel hop? What tires are you running?

I think we can set you up with some items for your budget

Let me know. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 10-20-2008, 01:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Just to give you another option. We are also local to you. My suggestion would be lower control arms, control arm relocation brackets, our springs, either strange or qa1 shocks, a torque arm and a torque arm relocation bracket, for starters. We offer several different versions of all of our parts. First thing is a set of lower control arms. They are relatively inexpensive and will help your car 60' better and be more consistant. The other parts that i listed will also help but that all depends on your budget. I will post you a link to our site. If you like you can give us a call and we will explain the benefits of each of our parts and figure out which ones would be best for your car. We are in the office mon-fri till 6pm est.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-09-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Just went to the track today and ran a 12.33 @ 118. I have only upgraded my springs and shocks, every other suspension parts are stock. If your budget was limited what would your first suspension upgrade be?

Thanks
Rick
This isn't meant to slam the sponsors, but I would try to distinguish between the advice you need between the "buy my stuff" marketing that seems to flood the "suspension advice" forum lately.

Also UMI makes a good point. You are in the 12's and you want to improve. But you want to figure out what characteristics you are experiencing first. Do you get wheelhop by any chance...etc. Certain parts are used to fix certain symptoms. This is the best way to help anyone improve something with a limited budget.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Also UMI makes a good point. You are in the 12's and you want to improve. But you want to figure out what characteristics you are experiencing first. Do you get wheelhop by any chance...etc. Certain parts are used to fix certain symptoms. This is the best way to help anyone improve something with a limited budget.
Exactly! You need to determine the problem before you can fix it... with the customers times posted and it sounds like he could get away with just some simple items.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks
Rick

Rick what are your goals with the car? street/strip?

with suspension stuff I would tend to go as "big" as you can. its much more doing it twice. ask me how I know.

first thing for a lowered car if your experiencing wheel hop would be LCA brackets they are cheap. next would be LCA's and then a PHB to center the rear.

do you want poly/poly poly/rod, or rod/rod? all depends on how extreme you want it.

I have UMI's double adj. rod/rod PHB/LCA setup which is great, bought it on a "Christmas Sale"

after that the next logical step would be a torque arm...and I would highly recommend getting it off the tailshaft, either by a relocation bracket, or a chassis mounted torque arm. many good ones, Madman being the best for drag IMO, BMR is great too, I'm running the Midwest Chassis setup for TSP true duals dumped, its the only chassis mounted torque arm that will work with that setup.

Chad
Old 10-21-2008, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
Rick what are your goals with the car? street/strip?

with suspension stuff I would tend to go as "big" as you can. its much more doing it twice. ask me how I know.

first thing for a lowered car if your experiencing wheel hop would be LCA brackets they are cheap. next would be LCA's and then a PHB to center the rear.

do you want poly/poly poly/rod, or rod/rod? all depends on how extreme you want it.

I have UMI's double adj. rod/rod PHB/LCA setup which is great, bought it on a "Christmas Sale"

after that the next logical step would be a torque arm...and I would highly recommend getting it off the tailshaft, either by a relocation bracket, or a chassis mounted torque arm. many good ones, Madman being the best for drag IMO, BMR is great too, I'm running the Midwest Chassis setup for TSP true duals dumped, its the only chassis mounted torque arm that will work with that setup.

Chad
Thanks man!

This is what I was looking for. I eventually want it all! I was wondering what to start with. I have a little wheel hop off of the line. I had some tire spin, but not sure if that was due to poor track conditons from the open street test and tune day at track. I'm running Nitto DR's. Got the tires warmed up nicely but then taking off and after shifts it felt very slippery probably due to rubber laid down by street tire car in front of me. I have always ran a 1.9 60'. I was running a 75 shot with the 12.33 @ 118

I want the car to be setup for the track. It's only a weekend driver. It's a rag top. I have a 6 point R.C. installed. I have Bilstein shocks all around with Eibach springs up front and stocks in the rear. I know WTF right? When I had the cage installed the rear springs sagged so bad my car looked like it was ready for launching into space!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:41 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks man!

This is what I was looking for. I eventually want it all! I was wondering what to start with. I have a little wheel hop off of the line. I had some tire spin, but not sure if that was due to poor track conditons from the open street test and tune day at track. I'm running Nitto DR's. Got the tires warmed up nicely but then taking off and after shifts it felt very slippery probably due to rubber laid down by street tire car in front of me. I have always ran a 1.9 60'. I was running a 75 shot with the 12.33 @ 118

I want the car to be setup for the track. It's only a weekend driver. It's a rag top. I have a 6 point R.C. installed. I have Bilstein shocks all around with Eibach springs up front and stocks in the rear. I know WTF right? When I had the cage installed the rear springs sagged so bad my car looked like it was ready for launching into space!
Thanks for the information and that helps a lot.

I recommend to do things in steps if your not up for spending a bunch of money at one time. For your application a good set of control arms and a set relocation brackets will make all the difference in the world... both items would come in right around $200 as well

The control arms come with polyurethane bushings and constructed of DOM tubing. Together this eliminates the flex and deflection found in the factory control arms. The relocation brackets work as a anti-squat bracket... they move your instant center point and help to plant the rear tires harder into the ground. The brackets are one of the most inexpensive traction devices you can purchase. Together I am very confident this items would cure a good part of your issues. I posted links and pictures below, please take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

Control Arms- www.umiperformance.com/2015

Relocation Brackets- www.umiperformance.com/2012

Here is a picture of both items installed-

Old 10-21-2008, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks man!

hey no problem.

right now I'm running Nitto DR's as well have not been to the track with this 15" set (new ones are 325) but the 275's...well they are great for the street but not so much for
the track. I was cutting mid 1.8's on them, a set of M/T street radials, or ET streets would be MUCH better.

wheel hop = the devil...its EXTREMELY hard on the drivetrain components, especially that pesky 10 bolt.

I agree with Ryan that a set of LCA's and relocation brackets would due you wonders, might want to go with some weld in SFC's as well. when I did the LCA's I went ahead and got a adj. PHB as well. it was needed to center the rear perfectly to fit the bigger tires.

for your shocks and springs...well there are PLENTY of guys going fast with stock springs/shocks are your above setup...its not ideal but there are many places I would change before that.

my next step is to get a anti sway bar....either the BMR Xtreme one or the Wolfe drag bar.

Chad
Old 10-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Thanks
Rick

Lower control arms, Relocation brackets. Start with that. Those will drop some off your 60'. I would just start with those pieces and expand from there. If your springs lowered the car, you will need an adjustable panhard rod to recenter the rearend under the car. From this you will have straighter launches.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks everyone for the help. Looks like I need to make some phone calls to some site sponsors, which were very helpful as well.

Thanks
Rick
Old 10-21-2008, 03:38 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks everyone for the help. Looks like I need to make some phone calls to some site sponsors, which were very helpful as well.

Thanks
Rick
Glad to help Rick, You can give us a call at 814-857-5400, we are available from 9:00 am until 4:30 pm EST. You may also e-mail us at sales@umiperformance.com or send me a PM on here, what ever is convenient for you.

Thanks again!
Ryan
Old 10-21-2008, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Glad to help Rick, You can give us a call at 814-857-5400, we are available from 9:00 am until 4:30 pm EST. You may also e-mail us at sales@umiperformance.com or send me a PM on here, what ever is convenient for you.

Thanks again!
Ryan
Yes thanks for your help.
I'll be calling you tomorrow.

Thanks
Rick

Quick Reply: Need Suspension Ideas