Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

wheel hop

Old 10-25-2008, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default wheel hop

for those of you that have wheel hop, could you feel it? and could you hear any odd noises because of it?

i think i may have a wheel hop problem, just seeing if thats the case.

thanks
Old 10-26-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have wheel hop there's not much doubt about it. The rear end bounces up and down and shakes the whole car (along with the associated noise). It also tears things up in a hurry if you don't do something to stop it.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

see i dont experience the bouncing but i do get some noises.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have to ask if its wheel hopping.... its not.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree. Wheel hop isn't one of those things where you're like "Wait... shhhh... do you hear that?.... I wonder if that's wheel hop?". It's more like "WHOOOOOAAAAAAAA there boy whoa!!!! That can't be good!".
Old 10-27-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhead
If you have to ask if its wheel hopping.... its not.
Agreed
Old 10-27-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
thats a great answer to what wheel hop feels like. thanks for the response.

i have a question about a problem im having and i thought this forum would be mature enough to answer that question. guess not.
they gave u some pretty good answers actually, rear end bounces up and down shakes the whole car and if you have to ask its not wheel hop both make since. its pretty dramatic is what they are telling you and you would know if thats what it was, there is no mistaking it. hope that spelled it out for you a little better
Old 10-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a question about a problem im having and i thought this forum would be mature enough to answer that question. guess not.
And I guess we thought you would be mature enough to accept an answer that didn't involve hand holding, sugar coating and a pat on the head. Guess not.

Once again, if you're not sure it if it is wheel hop, then it isn't. As you've been told, the whole rear of the car bounces up and down. How much more clear could you want that to be? Oh right... the hand holding... very well then....

"Dramatic" could well decribe it. As could brutal or even violent. It feels like the car is being lifted and dropped from a height of about 6 inches at a frequency of approximately 10 - 15 Hz.

I know this will still involve some effort on your part (ie. imagining what that may feel like) but is that a good enough / precise enough answer for you?

Last edited by Ironhead; 10-27-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

It feels like a jackhammer. The worse it is, the more it hurts. And yes, you will feel it, the rear end just starts jumping all over.

We discussed it on the phone, and I basically told you the same thing Korry did. I asked if you had any, you said no... then that you might but didn't know what it felt like. My answer was basically the same. And I can't imagine anyone not knowing if they had it, it'd be like driving over railroad ties.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

You just got all the info you need in this thread. So throw those tampons in the garbage and relax. You don't have wheel hop because it would be so evident.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

twitchtwice, what type of odd noises are you hearing that you thought might be wheelhop? When does it do it, just under hard acceleration?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
twitchtwice, what type of odd noises are you hearing that you thought might be wheelhop? When does it do it, just under hard acceleration?
its a rapid metal on metal noise when i WOT from a slow roll or a stop. thats what made me think it was wheel hop. but according to everyone here that now hates me, its not wheel hop causing it.

edit: its not a y banging issue i dont think because i have stock manifold, and i know its not the catback.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

Check your torque arm mounts. One could be loose.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1403559

I know that it's from a corvette forum dealing with the C5/C6 IRS, but the description fits what's been listed so far, plus when they get into the broken/worn-out motor mount issue is something that I've seen in 4th Gen F-bodies as well (though they're usually not what causes wheel hop from what I've seen around here so far).

What specifically do you feel when this occurs (in order to determine if you have wheel hop, or just some other "banging" issue)?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1403559

I know that it's from a corvette forum dealing with the C5/C6 IRS, but the description fits what's been listed so far, plus when they get into the broken/worn-out motor mount issue is something that I've seen in 4th Gen F-bodies as well (though they're usually not what causes wheel hop from what I've seen around here so far).

What specifically do you feel when this occurs (in order to determine if you have wheel hop, or just some other "banging" issue)?
well after reading the earlier posts i know its not wheel hop. i thought maybe wheel hop was causing a vibration in the car making this wierd/harsh metal on metal noise under hard acceleration from a stop or slow roll. but it seems it would be more harsh if it was wheel hop.

i checked all my mounts, ta, motor, tranny and everything seems to be okay.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for more details. Yep, if it's not a really harsh "solid pounding" noise, I highly doubt it's wheel hop.

If it's kind of a weird metallic rattling sound, it could very well be something with the exhuast hangers. I do remember quite frequently when I had my "street car" how there were all sorts of wierd rattles upon starting up, going over speed berms, and even accelerating at near WOT.

the only thing that really stopped these "banging issues" were replacing the motor mounts with poly versions, and replacing the rear exhuast insulator, plus making sure all of the bolts in the exhuast system was tight.

Don't know if this is like your issue, but I'd thought I'd offer this information just in case.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wheel hop