Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Please Help

I was looking into changing shocks and springs myself. Is there any step by step directions anyone knows about?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.ls1howto.com

Notes:
1. I don't think most people needed a pickle fork to separate the spindle from the ball joint. All I needed was a hammer and smacked the end upward. The pickle fork that I saw at the shop was expensive... I didn't need it after all.

2. Expect to have the shock shaft nut seized to the upper shock mount. Many people have to cut the nut off. Some people even cut the stock shock shaft since it's junk anyway.

3. Make sure you use the right torx bit on the torx bolts on the driver side. Completely unseat the master cylinder off its mounting point aside so you have CLEAR access to the torx bolts. I stripped mine because I tried to half-*** it and not do what I just said and had to cut the bolt off (not fun)

4. Disconnect the swaybar! I didn't do that on the rear and couldn't figure out why my rear end wouldnt drop down
Old 11-18-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28bryan
www.ls1howto.com

Notes:
1. I don't think most people needed a pickle fork to separate the spindle from the ball joint. All I needed was a hammer and smacked the end upward. The pickle fork that I saw at the shop was expensive... I didn't need it after all.

2. Expect to have the shock shaft nut seized to the upper shock mount. Many people have to cut the nut off. Some people even cut the stock shock shaft since it's junk anyway.

3. Make sure you use the right torx bit on the torx bolts on the driver side. Completely unseat the master cylinder off its mounting point aside so you have CLEAR access to the torx bolts. I stripped mine because I tried to half-*** it and not do what I just said and had to cut the bolt off (not fun)

4. Disconnect the swaybar! I didn't do that on the rear and couldn't figure out why my rear end wouldnt drop down

Thank you so much.