Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

do i need shocks???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question do i need shocks???

i just recently added lowring springs to my car. a 1.5inch drop. the problem i have is that i used the stock shocks and now the front is pretty much touching the fender well. if i was to purchase and install aftermarket shocks would it raise the front a bit. also when i hit a bump, the back tires bottom out and rub HORRIBLY. would the aftermarket shocks fix this as well. advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by silverM6TA
i just recently added lowring springs to my car. a 1.5inch drop. the problem i have is that i used the stock shocks and now the front is pretty much touching the fender well. if i was to purchase and install aftermarket shocks would it raise the front a bit. also when i hit a bump, the back tires bottom out and rub HORRIBLY. would the aftermarket shocks fix this as well. advise would be greatly appreciated.
For the problems you describe, shocks are not the answer. For the fronts being too low, that's part of the function of the spring: ride height. For the rear tires rubbing, this is why manufacturers make adjustable panhard bars. They are used to recenter the rear end when lowering since the stock one is a fixed length, and because of the geometry it "pushes" the rear end toward the right side of the car when you lower. Along with that you could also roll the rear fenders (search for it).
What [the correct] shocks will do for you is get rid of the choppy ride, snap oversteer, sloppy loose feeling(floaty, bouncy, slow reaction), handling and overall balance of the car and how it behaves.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Launching!

so an ajustable panhard bar should keep the rear tires from rubbing the fenders over bumbs? im not saying your wrong by any means but lets say it doesnt work, then what? im just stressed out by this bc it is still my dd and i would like to get it fixed ASAP.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:45 PM
FormerVendor

Shock are not going to raise the car up. That's the function of the springs.

An adjustable panhard rod will only help in the rear if your tires are rubbing on the outer fender wall on one side. Basically it allows you to center the rear end under the car so you have an equal gap between the tire and fender on both sides.

Quick Reply: do i need shocks???