Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowering kit questions..

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering kit questions..

I'm thinking about lowering my car 2 inches. i think i'll be going with the eibach kit. are new shocks required for this? also how about the torque arm? will this throw off my pinion angle without a different one? Thanks!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Normally I would just say to search because this has been covered many many times, but search is down right now so...
Read through:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...e-newbies.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...eal-world.html

Nothing but the springs are required to lower the car, but the rear alignment may be off (adjustable panhard bar or watts link needed to recenter it) and obviously the front will be needing an alignment. And your ride/handling will be less than ideal (your stock decarbon shocks struggle to damp the stock springs, putting lowering springs on is only going to make things worse.)
If all you care about is the look then have at it, but if you are looking for performance you are headed in the wrong direction by getting poorly engineered springs (sportlines right?) on horrible shocks.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like stated, adjustable panhard rod to help center the rear after car is lowered
Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question about pinion angle. This is probably obvious for a lot of people. I haven't really cared about pinion angle until recently so I never did any research on it.

Wouldn't the pinion angle remain the same if you lower the car? If the car is lowered, then the axle sits up closer to the chassis. Wouldn't the angle move along with the torque arm and rotate the housing slightly? So basically making the angle pointing a little downward and maintaining the same angle with the pinion and driveshaft?
Old 02-10-2009, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

adjustable torque arm and adjustable LCAs wouldnt hurt either. help with pinion angle too
Old 02-10-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Search long and hard before you settle on Eibachs. About the WORST f-body springs out there IMO. The Pro kits are a LITTLE better.

Quick Reply: lowering kit questions..