Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking for Coil Overs...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Coil Overs...

Basically I am looking for coil overs for my 93 Z28 Camaro...
I have done a little searching on the internet and there are just so many brands, price ranges, etc. that Im really not sure what would be the best choice.....

For the moment I am using them MOSTLY for setup purposes. (I will soon be running a 4 link setup with a 9") My Camaro right now is a project vehicle and is not driven often and until my car is done and I start racing/driving again a decent set will be fine.....

But I also would like any opinions on the best brands, how they perform on street/strip applications (not really concerned about ride quality) and how long they will last/hold up for every day driving and racing.....
Old 02-10-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds like you are asking who makes the best shocks for our cars and who makes and adjustable spring height kit for our cars.

For the shocks: Koni Best bang for the buck. There are more expensive shocks out there, like Penske's but for street use they would be overkill and you'll never fully use them to their potential.

Ground Control makes an awesome coil over conversion kit for our cars. Basically it's a threaded sleeve that fits over the shock body in the front. In the rear, they provide a "weight jacker" set up. They have a threaded body and an adjuster which fits into the spring perch on the axle. With this set up you can spec almost any spring rate you desire because they convert the unique GM spring size to a standard race spring size. And you can set your ride height to any height you wish. Then you can set the cross weights of the car.

There were some challenges in the past with their delivery time, but they have improved 100%. I just ordered some stuff from them last week and I got it within 4 days.

It typically is not a very good idea to change the rear shock set up to a coil over set up on these cars, especially one that is street driven. The shock mount on the axle is not designed to take this type of load and the lower mount is in single shear, which is not desirable.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if you are looking into coil-over conversions for a street/strip car, the Strange double adjustable shocks would be a great choice. these are the best bang for the buck in a external adjustable shock and coil-over conversions are no problem either...

AFCO makes one of the best shocks out there, but they are also one of the higher cost ones. depending on what you want to spend will depend on what you will choose.

pm me for info on applications and costs for what you need.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:08 PM

Thank you so much guys...

Well I should probably clear up what my car is actually going to be used for...im looking more for a strip car but Id like to be able to also show it...In the future I plan on a 383 stroker motor with a cam etc. and I want to be able to put the power to the ground as well as possible so...

Im trying to decide whether I want to run a 4 link system or not...Ive heard ALOT of good things about them but Im definately still learning...Im thinking if I do run a 4link the coil over conversion kits wouldnt work because in order to run a 4 link I will have to eliminate the lower control arm and create all new mounting brackets / locations this is why Im thinking I will need full coil overs in the rear and adjustable shocks in the front???? Feel free to correct me if im wrong though

Im also planning on changing up my rear end...so far im considering a GM 12 Bolt with the C-Clip eliminators, a Ford 9'' or a Mopar 8 1/4 and its looking like a Ford 9'' is going to be my best bet???? I found a really good picture of a four link system pretty much how im hoping to run in my car take a look let me know what you think....
Attached Thumbnails Looking for Coil Overs...-dsc_0602-1.jpg  
Old 02-13-2009, 01:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

nothing wrong with that setup, but its a bit complicated. considering there are stock suspension cars doing 1.1 60 foots and plenty of them running hard at the road courses, there's really no reason to get into something that exotic for the 3rd or 4th gen cars. now... if you had a leaf spring car and were doing this i would say knock yourself out!
if it's the coil-over thing you are interested in, there are kits for your car to do the conversion on the stock mounts.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:15 PM

Yea thats a good point....
Old 02-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

if you are just looking for ones for mock up you could do what i did for my gto. i got the Competition Engineering Economy Coil-Over kit $240 from jegs. thats for 2 coil overs and brackets all you need expect springs. at the time i could not afford what i had planed strange double adjustable and that was the chepest way i could get it on the road.

Quick Reply: Looking for Coil Overs...