Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering Column Issues

Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Column Issues

I'm guessing that this is the best place to post this....

I've searched quite a bit and can't seem to find a definitive answer. I'd like to put a column and wheel with stereo controls into my 94 car. The SIR coil wires are broken in my column and the turn signal stalk is on its way out, so I figured the cheapest way to go is to just replace the whole column. It seems like LS1 column/wheel combos with stereo controls are a lot more plentiful, so I'm trying to figure out if the LS1 column is interchangeable with the LT1 column. Some have said yes, it will work. Some say no, the wheel will be 1/4 turn out of alignment due to differences in the steering shaft. They are definitely not the same part number, but that doesn't mean it won't work. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did this in mine before the LS1 swap and they are right. The wheel will be off a little more than 1/8 turn. I fixed mine by cutting the universal shaft that connects the rack to the column apart and welding it back together so the wheel would be straight. Kinda radical, but it worked.

Re'
Old 02-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully this will be a good reference for people in the future.

I'm going to go with a 97 column. Its the same part number, and hopefully I can find one with steering wheel controls.

Search this Thread