Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear shock mount?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rear shock mount?

I want to regain some rear suspension travel on the rear with my lowered stance. It looks like the lower shock mount can be fabricated to extend by added some steel or the like and welding it in. This way the shock can gain back some travel lost after it was lowered.
Your thoughts?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would research a shorter shock. It might be easier/safer in the long run. Contact Sam Strano.....
Old 02-26-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

Just cut your bumpstops down, 1" max. I've been running mine like that for years, without any problems!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem isn't with the shock mounts - as already stated, the long pole in the tent on this one is the bump stop. Take a peek under your car some time and look how little room there is between the bump stop and the axle tube - you might be surprised how little there is. Even if you take the bump stop out, there is only so much more room before the axle tube hits the frame itself (although I think the shock will bottom out before that happens) - if you gave the shock more room to travel, you've just ensured that your axle tube will contact the frame itself, and that won't be a pretty sight if you do it hard enough.

There's only so far you can slam the wheels/axle up into the car before you run into problems. The only ways you are gonna be able to control it are to up the spring rate and make the damping more firm to compensate for the travel you've taken away. Screwing around with the shock mounts won't do ****.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Exactly... The shock has plenty of available travel...

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks