Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment help! Here are my alignment numbers:

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alignment help! Here are my alignment numbers:

Ok, so I had my car aligned(or at least tried to) but it still didnt do any good. It goes side to side like crazy at times(when I'm going over 60). Here are my numbers(in degrees of course):
Left Front: Right Front:
Camber: +1.10 Camber: +0.46
Caster: +4.95 Caster: +4.28
Toe: 0.00 Toe: 0.00

Total Toe: 0.0
Steer Ahead: 0.0

Any suggestions?? I had the control arms replaced with new bushings on the front end. Maybe the spindle or shocks need replaced?? I'll also add that the driver side sits higher than the passenger only on the front.

Last edited by emj2006; 02-28-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the camber + or - ?
Is the car lowered?

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 02-27-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

There just edited it! lol. Yeah the car is lowered, but only in the rear.. not to mention the reason I replaced control arms was because a while back I was doing donuts and ran my front driver wheel to the curb(braking the rotor and bending the control arms).. keep in mind this was when I was 16 so yeah... lol
Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by emj2006
Ok, so I had my car aligned(or at least tried to) but it still didnt do any good. It goes side to side like crazy at times(when I'm going over 60). Here are my numbers(in degrees of course):
Camber: -1.10 Camber: +0.46
Caster: +4.95 Caster: -4.28

Any suggestions?? I had the control arms replaced with new bushings on the front end. Maybe the spindle or shocks need replaced?? I'll also add that the driver side sits higher than the passenger only on the front.
The camber is whats causing the car to pull, I bet it pulls to the right.
Camber needs to be even on both sides, if its not even it will pull towards the side with the most positive camber. I would check for a bent spindle, most likely the left side. Put your hand between the inside of the wheel(along the inside lip) and the upper ball joint. Compare the difference in distance between the left and right side. Ive had this happen to me personally.
Also I hope you meant +4.28 caster on the right, caster will pull towards the side with the most negative.
Thats why alot of shops will have -.50 less caster on the left to compensate for road crown.
If what you typed is correct, then I bet your car feels like it wants to do donuts towards the right, lol.

Last edited by GMRL; 02-27-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

ALL thoes setting are crazy,I will list the ones I like in a minute, but to be short, at least get your camber within .50 of each side, and caster within .50 of each side with right being the most postive, toe 0 to .05.
I have read where most ppl like neg camber, " I THINK " if auto-x or road racing some neg camber will help, but for drag and street driving I like pos setting on camber, as much caster as posible, and a just a tad of toe, now I as no 'spert but I had a lot of practice, after 30 years and 9 months of practicing
now as to what I like
I an lowered 2 " around
I run camber left @ +. 50 right + .50
caster " +3.50 " + 4.00
toe @ .06
rear thrust line + .03
car handles great, good milage 43 k per set tire, pulls straight out of the hole, tracts straight @ xxx
again just my .02
Johnny
Old 02-28-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Camber: -1.10 Camber: +0.46
Caster: +4.95 Caster: -4.28

If those numbers, especially the caster, are correct, without any "typos", it's amazing the car even goes down the road even remotely straight at all, let alone near 60 MPH!!!

As mentioned, camber should be pretty much the same on both sides. Yes, a little negative camber will help cornering, but will tend to wear the inside edges of the tires. I've been running my camber at "zero", on all my cars, for the last 30 years, as a compromise between handling and tire wear.

Your caster settings, as is, are 8 degrees different, side to side. As "SS SLP" mentioned, they should vary by only a half degree or so, with the additional half on the right side. This allows the car to track "straight" to allow for the natural crown of most roads. Again, I'll agree with "SS SLP" and say that about (+) 3.5 to (+) 4 degrees should work, with a hair of toe in, EQUAL on both sides.

Good luck!!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Oh god, yet another typo!! lol. yeah the right caster was +4.28. I believe it would be a bent spindle as well. How would I fix the caster on the right though?? Thanks for all your help guys btw.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh god, yet another typo!! lol. yeah the right caster was +4.28. I believe it would be a bent spindle as well. How would I fix the caster on the right though?? Thanks for all your help guys btw.
Most of the caster adjustment will be gotten by moving the "vertical" lower control arm bushing, the one that is to the "rear' of the lower control. To "gain" caster, you'll need to slide or rotate the control arm a little "forward", with the rear adjustment bolt. Keep in mind, however, that it will also have an effect on the camber, so you essentially work them both, a little at a time, to get both the caster and camber you want