Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjusting pinion angle

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Adjusting pinion angle

Did a search but did not find answer to this particular question.

I want check and/or adjust pinion angle if the shop that installed the Moser 12 bolt didn't adjust the pinion angle correctly. The TQ was installed first with the stock rear end.

The torque arm makes a lot more noise (now) after changing from the stock rear end to the Moser 12 bolt. I can hear what appears to be unloading of the torque arm when letting off the throttle for stop lights, off ramps etc. It is very loud to point that if it remains so after checking pinion angle then I will go back to an adjustable transmission mount TQ.

Pinion angle now is + 5 and understand it should be - 2.

I do not have a lift but have two sets of ramps. However my set of ramps are not the same brand so one set is lower than the other set.

Directions to adjust pinion angle for my tunnel mount adjustable Spohn torque state that the suspension must be loaded when adjusting pinion angle.

That being the case can I assume that a correct adjustment is not possible using my ramps because one end of the car or the other will be lower depending upon which end of the car is sitting on the lower/or higher ramps?

One set of ramps is about 1 1/2 inch lower than the other.

Is the difference in ramp height affecting the pinion angle stated above? Tallest ramps are at the front now.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Need to make sure cars suspension is loaded, and yes the tires need to be the same height, You basically need the car sitting high enough to get under it, but you want the car sitting exactly like it would on the ground. This is the only way to be sure that your measurement is correct.

Quick Reply: Adjusting pinion angle