Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Traction bars vs torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Traction bars vs torque arm

I just got a question for you suspension wizards. (and yes I did search)

Is traction bars the same as a torque arm?

I've been looking at some of the off-road forums and it seems that what these guys are calling "traction bars" is what we hotrodders would call a torque arm. Here is an example of one of their traction bars: http://www.rockfrogs.org/Pictures/EE/TRAC_BAR.JPG

Anyways, I understand how they work, I'm just wondering what the correct name is given the application.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:53 AM
Banned

yes
a better torque arm gives you better traction. so i would say yes
Old 03-16-2009, 07:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are the same in the principle that they don't allow the nose of the rear end deflect up ward.
Normally "traction bars" where used on rear wheel drive cars and trucks that used leaf spring rear suspension. The bar would connect to the rear leaf spring and travel forward along the spring and have a little rubber nose on the end of it contacting the body.
With a troque arm is set up on a car/truck that does not use leaf springs. Just like your Camaro in your avatar same idea jusr desgin a bit differnet.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKMac
I just got a question for you suspension wizards. (and yes I did search)

Is traction bars the same as a torque arm?

I've been looking at some of the off-road forums and it seems that what these guys are calling "traction bars" is what we hotrodders would call a torque arm. Here is an example of one of their traction bars: http://www.rockfrogs.org/Pictures/EE/TRAC_BAR.JPG

Anyways, I understand how they work, I'm just wondering what the correct name is given the application.
Hello
It's hard to see the front of that Arm to see if there is any adjustment possible! (It might be a pre-set pinion angle)
Torque Arms allow you to also adjust and set your pinion angle. For instance our non adjustable torque arms are made with -2 pinion angle in them! That's just a few other comments.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
It's hard to see the front of that Arm to see if there is any adjustment possible! (It might be a pre-set pinion angle)
Torque Arms allow you to also adjust and set your pinion angle. For instance our non adjustable torque arms are made with -2 pinion angle in them! That's just a few other comments.
Thanks
Brad
I noticed most of the leaf spring guys are running a shackle at the front of the arm, or a telescoping arm. I guess that makes sense since leaf springs do not let the tire travel perfectly up and down.

The only thing is that shackle would need to be perfectly 90 degrees to the torque arm or you would still get axle wrap. Or at least I think I spent about 4 hours reading up on suspension last night, and that was just 3 link designs!

Here's a pic of a full bar:

Quick Reply: Traction bars vs torque arm