Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

squeak from front of car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeak from front of car.

I have a bad squeak from the front of my car. my brakes squeak a lot but there is also a HORRIBLE squeak when i am turning the car even if i'm not hitting brakes. Also sometimes when i'm driving down the road...even at like 60mph or more there is a clicking noise coming from the front left wheel. i recently got new rear rotors and the front rotors turned and new pads all the way around. i did use meguiars hot shine a lot on my tires and heard that could possibly be the reason for the squeaking, but i did have my rotors all cleaned and it still does it. if it's still in the pads will new pads fix the problem. i really dont' know what to do and it's driving me crazy!!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the very least, you need to replace your FL wheel hub/bearing assembly. Do that and see where you're at. And yes, it is unsafe to drive.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Teching In

unsafe to drive? man..guess i shoulda asked this question before i drove my car on a 3 hour trip today
Old 05-19-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Don't screw around with your wheel bearings. They're somewhat important for your safety.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not 100% convinced that it could be the wheel bearings, I'd need more info first, say's the guy who typically goes thru 4 to 6 sets of hub assemblies in one season. Note the front hubs on an F-body are not rebuildable therefore the wheel bearings alone cannot be replaced.

Raise the front of the car off the ground.
Grab the tire in the 12:00 and 6:00 position.
Try to rock the wheel in and out.
If it moves then maybe you'll need new hubs (I typically don't replace hubs until the wheel moves in at out 0.012 inches when measured at the wheel stud
If it doesn't move, then it may be something else.

When you put new pads on the car did you also install new brake pad shims? If you did, did you buy them from autozone? I've found that the ones from autozone don't fit exactly right and would make the exact type of sound you are describing in the conditions you are describing. However, the noise would go away when I press the brake peddle. I've since discovered that the ones from NAPA fit better.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

I can't say I've ever had that problem, but I'll trust your word on it as something the OP should definitely check. However, the clicking noises and other stuff he mentioned still lean me towards the wheel bearing. I hope for his sake that it's not though.