Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Rack

Anyone replaced the steering rack on an LS F-Body? Curious how long it took to do and whats involved in the process..
Old 05-24-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZROCWS6
Anyone replaced the steering rack on an LS F-Body? Curious how long it took to do and whats involved in the process..
I didn't replace mine, but I replaced a friends after he did some damage to it (and a lot of other stuff) in a massive pothole...it wasn't too bad at all, make sure you use flare wrenches on the fluid lines, and make sure you keep the ignition/collum locked when the rack is disconnected from the rack (you do not want the airbag coil to unwind, because then it will break too), and make sure you get the car alligned right away when you're done. If you center the old rack and new rack, and take some measurements, or use some flat plates of steel, 2 tape measures, and a friend, you'll be able to get the allignment close...but it's still well worth the $70 or whatever dollars it costs to get the car alligned on a rack.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
I didn't replace mine, but I replaced a friends after he did some damage to it (and a lot of other stuff) in a massive pothole...it wasn't too bad at all, make sure you use flare wrenches on the fluid lines, and make sure you keep the ignition/collum locked when the rack is disconnected from the rack (you do not want the airbag coil to unwind, because then it will break too), and make sure you get the car alligned right away when you're done. If you center the old rack and new rack, and take some measurements, or use some flat plates of steel, 2 tape measures, and a friend, you'll be able to get the allignment close...but it's still well worth the $70 or whatever dollars it costs to get the car alligned on a rack.
I'm a tech so the alignment wont be a problem lol. About how long did it take? I'll be doing this afterwork or on a Saturday so time is somewhat of a concern in a way.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

took a couple hours working at a relaxed pace...not a big deal at all