Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

low soft pedal

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default low soft pedal

ive had several track days with my C5 fronts. first was with hawk HPS, which came with the kit, on ATE slotted. worked fine, then overheated, and became quite dangerous on the ride home. i had a very soft, low pedal, and less braking power. it was to be expected, as they arent a pure track pad. i then switched to some cheap off the shelf pads just to get me by. another track day, and they overheated.....again, expected. i then switched to HP+, and they worked beautifully. incredible stopping power, not a hint of fade or overheating. all with the same ATE slotted rotors. i towed it home, and no street use afterwards, but at the end of the day, they felt the same as they did in the morning. i then swapped to satisfied OEM replacements, just to use for street pads. the pedal felt the same as with the HP+, no change. high, firm, and very good feel/stopping power.

i had also been running C5 braided lines, which are too long to be used in an f-body. i tried LS1 lines, but they seemed about a half inch too short, and at full drop/full lock, the line seemed just about to pinch at the caliper side, right where the hard line ends. so i tried C5 lines, which i had to zip tie to the swaybar to take up slack.

in preparation of a day at NJMP, i just now put the LS1 lines back on (after figuring 1000s of people have used LS1 lines after a C5 kit and no problems), installed new brembo blanks, and the same HP+ pads. now, while trying to bed in the new rotors, my brakes feel exactly the same as they did with the overheated pads. i bled and bled and bled all 4 calipers, with fresh fluid at each. while she seems to stop about the same as the first outing with HP+, the pedal is VERY soft and low, and i need to press in about 2 full inches to get the same stopping power.

im fairly sure i didnt bleed the master dry, or the ABS block dry. i kept topping it off before it got too low. what the hell is wrong?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try bleeding from the abs block.make sure you dont have any leaks.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

how do you do that
Old 06-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Launching!

have someone put pressure on the brakes, then unscrew each of the hard lines coming from the block one at a time, once some fluid comes out tighten it back up

Quick Reply: low soft pedal