Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

remove the bump stops?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default remove the bump stops?

hey guys, my car is lowered and i feel the rear bump stops hit sometimes when i go over bumps and what not, would it be ok to completely remove the rear bump stops from the car? or is it ok to cut most of the rubber off of it just leaving a bit of rubber?
Old 07-17-2009, 05:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can remove the spacer that's sandwhiched between the bump stops and the frame but you really should leave the bump stop in place. It helps to protect the shocks and the frame from damage. Plus they help to decelerate the axle in a more controlled method vs. just slamming it into the frame.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:37 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

the spacers are only on the SS style bump stops, correct?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pjb
the spacers are only on the SS style bump stops, correct?
Oh yea right. I forgot about that. Yes the spacers are SS only.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

We have a bumpstop discussion about once a week in this section. Personally I think cutting the bumpstop is only a bandaid and doesn't fix the actual problem. The actual problem to fix is the speed you impact the bumpstop.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:22 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

agreed, but it does seem to help by replacing the SS bump stop with the standard camaro ones. I wouldn't cut them.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the spacers out on my SS. But I have found that a poly trans mount that you can get at any auto store can be used. They are smaller the regular bump stop. You may try that route.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:12 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

the impact with poly stops will be very harsh. the best route seems to be to have a properly setup rear suspension and the camaro stock bump stops.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Banned

i did a search before this post, maybe i dident search good enough? but anyways, i had already cut the bump stops before posting here, but i havent driven the car yet, im hoping it will be ok, i cut most of the rubber off leaving only a bit on there, i will see if the shocks bottom out, hopefully they dont
Old 07-17-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ae13291
i did a search before this post, maybe i dident search good enough? but anyways, i had already cut the bump stops before posting here, but i havent driven the car yet, im hoping it will be ok, i cut most of the rubber off leaving only a bit on there, i will see if the shocks bottom out, hopefully they dont
So you might have saved yourself an inch of travel, but if you end up going far enough of the bumpstops anyway then you'll now hit that tiny patch of rubber you left there.

If your suspension is well dampened and you have a good springrate/ride height ratio then worrying about hitting bumpstops too hard becomes an afterthought.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28bryan
So you might have saved yourself an inch of travel, but if you end up going far enough of the bumpstops anyway then you'll now hit that tiny patch of rubber you left there.

If your suspension is well dampened and you have a good springrate/ride height ratio then worrying about hitting bumpstops too hard becomes an afterthought.
His problem w/ hitting the stops is in his sig. Tokicos w/ Vogtland springs.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
His problem w/ hitting the stops is in his sig. Tokicos w/ Vogtland springs.
i know i know, lol those shocks suck really bad, but i cant talk **** about the springs, i like them, the shocks are what is awful, but at least im not like alot of people that use the stock decarbons that cant even support the stock springs. hopefully i will have enough money for the Konis soon. i love the feel of those shocks
Old 07-17-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ae13291
i know i know, lol those shocks suck really bad, but i cant talk **** about the springs, i like them, the shocks are what is awful, but at least im not like alot of people that use the stock decarbons that cant even support the stock springs. hopefully i will have enough money for the Konis soon. i love the feel of those shocks
Oh I know, I wasn't calling the springs crap. Just referring to the shocks you have aren't able to dampen the springs.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Banned

i really hate the shocks, it was a very stupid decision on my part, i should not have gotten them. i think im gonna go drive my car right now and see how it feels, if its gonna bottom out it will be the shocks right?

Quick Reply: remove the bump stops?