Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What does a torque arm do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What does a torque arm do?

whats the purpose of the torque arm? If I buy a custom rear end can I use it with a different setup than a torque arm?
Old 09-17-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leaf spring cars have backets that are welded to the axle tubes, and these brackest provide a flat surface for the axle to rest on the flat surface of the spring. This whole deal is secured together, and the axle can't rotate when power is applied.

Four link cars, like Chevelles, GTOs, and Impala SSs have 4 tabs as part of the rear axle. These tabs locate 4 trailing arms, 2 upper, 2 lower. The arms locate the axle longitudinally, as well as preventing the axle from rotating when power is applied.

When the GM engineers downsized the F-body in '82, they switched from a leaf spring rear, to a coil spring set-up because the 3rd gen car was smaller and lighter than it's predecessors. The body was also physically smaller, requiring a more compact set-up. The lower trailing arms locate the axle longitudinally, the panhard bar locates it laterally, and the torque arm keeps the rear axle from rotating when the power is applied. This design was carried over to the 4th gen cars.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What I was wondering is I seen a moser M9 setup that had two tabs mounted on top of the pumpkin with adj control arms. Think they said its how they mounted on the a-bodies. Now by the looks of that setup it would be able to adj pinion angle and keep rear from rotating. Not sure if this would be possible on our cars but would this setup be possible? If it is that would eliminate the need for a torque arm I would think.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's no framework in a stock 3rd or 4th gen car to attach the upper arms to....
Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UMI for the win!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
There is no frame work for upper control arms. I am not saying it is impossible but it would take a lot of fabricating other then doing a tub chassis. But If you are looking into doing a aftermarket rear they manufacture them for the F bodies. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 09-18-2009, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pavetim
What I was wondering is I seen a moser M9 setup that had two tabs mounted on top of the pumpkin with adj control arms. Think they said its how they mounted on the a-bodies. Now by the looks of that setup it would be able to adj pinion angle and keep rear from rotating. Not sure if this would be possible on our cars but would this setup be possible? If it is that would eliminate the need for a torque arm I would think.
An adjustable T/A will allow you to adjust pinion angle anyway. There would be no gain by trying to fab up framework to attach upper control arms over the lower control arm T/A setup we have.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thanks guys answered my question.

Quick Reply: What does a torque arm do?