Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake noise

My Driver side back tire has been making this noise for quite some time now. Its now got to the point where ive had enough of it. At first when i would apply the breaks you would hear a sound as though the brake pad was skipping across the rotor. Its not a constant sound its like tiss..tiss..tiss. Like its skipping across. My car also bounces a little when i come to a stop. Kinda like a pulsing in the brake pedal. The pulsing is rythmatic to the brake pad skipping sound.

Its now gotten alot louder. It doesnt really do it as much when the car is cold. Its usually after ive been driving for a few miles. It used to make the noise only when i hit the brakes. Now it does it when i hit the brakes and after i am off the brake and rolling. Its just amplified when i apply the brakes. When its making the noise after i leave the light if you turn the wheel to the passenger side the noise stops. If you turn to the driver side its noticeable. Im positive its the rear driver tire. Ive taken the wheel off, inspected the break, and everything seems normal.
The noise is driving me crazy. Its not a metal on metal sound. Sounds like the rotor is warped or something and the brake pad skips across. I cant figure it out. Any ideas?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Break pedal pulsation is a sign of a warped rotor. Jack up the car and put it on stands and do a visual inspection. You can check for runout with a dial indicator, but you will be able to tell by looking. I mean if your breaks are shot then they will show on a street car. That tiss...tiss sound could be the anti rattle spring rubbing on the rotor. I chased that noise for over an hour on a new brake install. If you find that part is the cause of your noise NAPA makes a brake hardware kit that works like the stockers.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Staging Lane

i looked at the brake pads yesterday on that rear wheel thats making the noise. The pads are getting there. The groove in the middle of the pad isnt much of a groove anymore. I couldnt see tell just by looking if the rotor was warped or not. Is there some easy way to tell without that device that tells you if your rotor is warped?
Im not sure if this has anything to do with anything. But, the noise is considerably less at night and when i first start driving. When i first start out it doesnt really make the noise at all. It usually takes a little bit of driving and braking before the noise increases. Like if im in traffic in the middle of the day it will tiss tiss to a stop. Then when i take off again its still making the noise. Just not as loud.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

the car has alot of vibration on the interstate past 70 as well
Old 10-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Staging Lane

When i was on the interstate last night the car was vibrating really bad. It wasnt like that last weekend. Anywhere 70mph you can actually see my door panels shaking. It gets worse the faster i go. I just had a alignment a month ago. Any Ideas what could be causing major vibration?