Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Reservoir Level

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Reservoir Level

Recently had a buddy do a brake job on my camaro, he filled the brake res. level up to absolute full in the reservoir(to the bottom of the hangy thing on the inside of the cap). I don't ever remember my fluid in the brake reservoir being that high. Now my question is(semi dumb tho!), what is the correct level? the crease that is halfway up the reservoir itself? sorry for the stupid question but dont want to be running it high/low
Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming the res is full because he pushed the pistons back in on the calipers. (moving fluid back into the res). If you have new brakes the res should be full, becuase the brake fluid level will go down as your brakes wear (and the pistons move out in the calipers)
Old 10-08-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

exactly, the res is full all the way up to the top of the neck where the cap goes, i always thought the fluid shouldnt be all the way up there?, only to halfway up the reservoir. But I guess since the install was just done, filled to the top is where it should be?

On a side note, at times I do a fluid swap(turkey baster method) to get all the fluid in there out and refill with new stuff, should I be filling it or just to the level it was at BEFORE the fluid was changed? I usually fill to where it was(its never lower than a 1/4" from the top)
Old 10-08-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
exactly, the res is full all the way up to the top of the neck where the cap goes,
That's where it should be. The level will go down as the brakes wear, which is normal.