Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default front shocks

i finally got around to installing the front shocks (Strano Bilsteins) yesterday and keeping the stock springs. i did it in a shop with a friend of mine who is a mechanic. i also used to be a mechanic so the job itself wasnt very confusing. only thing is now after the install, if i hit a bump in the road with the driver side wheel, it sounds like something is loose because it will sound like a loud thump sound. passenger side wheel doesnt do this. i already checked the following things:

1. 2 bolts from bottom of shock to lower control arm are tight
2. 4 bolts from upper control arm to shock tower are tight
3. balljoint bolt with cotter pin is tight
4. everything is lined up correctly

what could be causing this thump im hearing? also, in the instructions on ls1howto.com, i saw something about a bump stop that goes on right after the metal cap....... nowhere in my work do i remember any bump stops coming off the stock shocks and going onto the new ones. i doubt that has anything to do with it though cause im on stock springs and theres no way im bottoming out.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Siciliano15
i finally got around to installing the front shocks (Strano Bilsteins) yesterday and keeping the stock springs. i did it in a shop with a friend of mine who is a mechanic. i also used to be a mechanic so the job itself wasnt very confusing. only thing is now after the install, if i hit a bump in the road with the driver side wheel, it sounds like something is loose because it will sound like a loud thump sound. passenger side wheel doesnt do this. i already checked the following things:

1. 2 bolts from bottom of shock to lower control arm are tight
2. 4 bolts from upper control arm to shock tower are tight
3. balljoint bolt with cotter pin is tight
4. everything is lined up correctly

what could be causing this thump im hearing? also, in the instructions on ls1howto.com, i saw something about a bump stop that goes on right after the metal cap....... nowhere in my work do i remember any bump stops coming off the stock shocks and going onto the new ones. i doubt that has anything to do with it though cause im on stock springs and theres no way im bottoming out.
I'm assuming you compressed the spring before tightening down the nut on top of the shock? That's a must do on stock springs and recommended for lowering springs.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

thats a good question..... it was at least partially compressed but maybe not enough...... could it be that the nut that attaches to the shock shaft wasnt tightened all the way?
Old 10-10-2009, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most likely the strut mount nut...
Old 10-10-2009, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

ill give that a try and see wat happens. thanks.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Shock shaft nut.

FYI, the factory shocks have the bump stops inside the boots
Old 10-10-2009, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Shock shaft nut.

FYI, the factory shocks have the bump stops inside the boots
so the boot is the dust cover right? the bilstein didnt come with one so i put the old dust cover on the new shock.

gonna try to tighten that shaft nut monday and see wat happens.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

so the boot is the dust cover right? the bilstein didnt come with one so i put the old dust cover on the new shock.

gonna try to tighten that shaft nut monday and see wat happens.
Yes, boot/dust cover same thing.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had this. Rubber shock mount had torn so the shock shaft just rode all the way through the enlarged hole and bounced off the top of the wheel well. Replaced the rubber mounts and all was good again.

Also make sure the trapezoidal isolator is in there too.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I had this. Rubber shock mount had torn so the shock shaft just rode all the way through the enlarged hole and bounced off the top of the wheel well. Replaced the rubber mounts and all was good again.

Also make sure the trapezoidal isolator is in there too.
might just order another new shock mount. had to do it on the other side so might as well replace this one too. freakin thing was $48 plus $18 for the isolator so ended up shelling out almost $70 for two pieces of rubber. crazy
Old 10-12-2009, 10:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

thats a good question..... it was at least partially compressed but maybe not enough...... could it be that the nut that attaches to the shock shaft wasnt tightened all the way?
Not only could be.... but I'm sure *is*. Common.

The spring must be compressed far enough that there is NO contact with the upper shock mount before you tighten the nut. Then you can let the spring go.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Not only could be.... but I'm sure *is*. Common.

The spring must be compressed far enough that there is NO contact with the upper shock mount before you tighten the nut. Then you can let the spring go.
thats probably wat happened. hope it is. will find out soon. thanks sam.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

thanks to everyone. installed the new shock tower mount and made sure that nut was totally tight and no more rattle. car handles and rides so much better than ever.

only thing im hoping is that the front settles back down again because it seems like its sitting slightly higher in the front now than it did on the stock decarbons. still on stock 1998 ws6 springs.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Everything is new. The mounts aren't all pounded out, the shocks have tight seals... it'll come back down some with a little time.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-16-2009, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Everything is new. The mounts aren't all pounded out, the shocks have tight seals... it'll come back down some with a little time.
thanks sam. good to hear. car rides and handles so much better than before. on the highway hit a bump and it stays flat instead of bouncing around and feels a lot more solid.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Amazing isn't it? And so many folks think shocks are all the same.....

Old 10-17-2009, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Amazing isn't it? And so many folks think shocks are all the same.....
yea. shocks are the last area to cheap out on. i woulda gotten the konis but a little too much $ and i have a great time with Bilstein on my lowered truck so i got these and am impressed all over again.

Quick Reply: front shocks