Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BRAKE/ABS INOP code thrown.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009 | 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Default BRAKE/ABS INOP code thrown.

Is there any sure way to know what this exactly is... I checked the rear differential and it isnt the sensors back there. But is there a front sensor I could be missing and why would the E-Brake light be going off as well. I checked that side too. This problem is intermittent and happens after the car is warmed up (wheels spinning) doesnt cause any issues other than ABS not working.
Old 10-11-2009 | 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the fuses and connections at the ABS control module. I'm new to f-bodies so I can't really help you locate them.
Old 10-11-2009 | 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Also check the harness on the rear axle. If your car is lowered they sometime rub through and break - like mine did. The harness is also no longer available so you'll need to fix what you have.
Old 10-11-2009 | 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

On a related note, is it possible to disconnect the ABS and BRAKE lights from the dash? Mine are removed so the lights mean nothing except the car is on.
Old 10-12-2009 | 11:02 AM
Teching In

Sounds like it might be the EBCM (ABS Module). Are the ABS and Brake lights coming on after driving for awhile? Does your car have traction control as well?

The Bosch 5.3 EBCM unit used in an LS1 Camaro is around $1200 from a dealer, however there are several companies that rebuild them for a fraction of that price. I sent mine out to a company in Idaho that rebuilt it for $160 and it's working great so far. They rebuild around 40 modules a day to give you an idea of how common this problem is.

Before the fix my Brake/ABS/Trac lights would come on after about 15 minutes of driving. Sometimes sooner.

Originally Posted by 2000Z28AUG
Is there any sure way to know what this exactly is... I checked the rear differential and it isnt the sensors back there. But is there a front sensor I could be missing and why would the E-Brake light be going off as well. I checked that side too. This problem is intermittent and happens after the car is warmed up (wheels spinning) doesnt cause any issues other than ABS not working.

Last edited by kevinkr; 10-12-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-15-2009 | 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
On a related note, is it possible to disconnect the ABS and BRAKE lights from the dash? Mine are removed so the lights mean nothing except the car is on.
i would think you could pull the bulbs out, but i may be wrong
Old 10-15-2009 | 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

What size tires do you have, front and back?