Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Problem Installing Brakes...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem Installing Brakes...HELP!

Im putting new pads and rotors in the T/A and having a few problems.
First problem:
On my passenger front, I mount the rotor, caliper bracket and pads with no problem, but when i try to mount the caliper it doesnt sit right. Its almost as if one of the pistons isnt in all the way (but I asure you it is!). The mounting holes will not sit properly if the rotor is straight on. If I "make" the caliper fit inline with the mounting holes then the rotor wants to push out on one end about half an inch. Thought it might have been a warped rotor but I already swapped that. The original pads did wear uneven (like this: //).
Second problem:
On the driver side front, everything mounted no problem but now im noticing that the top bolt on the caliper itself goes in and out slightly, even though its tightened all the way.
Third problem:
I cant break the rear caliper bracket bolts for nothing!! Ive tried PB Blaster but they wont give at all.

Any suggestions? I am ready to drive her off a cliff at this point!!!
If pictures are needed let me know. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

1 make sure your rotor is flush against the hub when installing the the caliper. It helps when everything is lined up.

Did you get the caliper bracket mounted?
Also push the piston fully in.

2 the reason it is moving is because its a free floating caliper. Dont worry about it. Once you press down the brakes that space will be taken up and you will have no more movement.

3 they went on, they will come off. torch them a bit if you have one. dont get them too hot though.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrumrReagh13
Im putting new pads and rotors in the T/A and having a few problems.
First problem:
On my passenger front, I mount the rotor, caliper bracket and pads with no problem, but when i try to mount the caliper it doesnt sit right. Its almost as if one of the pistons isnt in all the way (but I asure you it is!). The mounting holes will not sit properly if the rotor is straight on. If I "make" the caliper fit inline with the mounting holes then the rotor wants to push out on one end about half an inch. Thought it might have been a warped rotor but I already swapped that. The original pads did wear uneven (like this: //).
Second problem:
On the driver side front, everything mounted no problem but now im noticing that the top bolt on the caliper itself goes in and out slightly, even though its tightened all the way.
Third problem:
I cant break the rear caliper bracket bolts for nothing!! Ive tried PB Blaster but they wont give at all.

Any suggestions? I am ready to drive her off a cliff at this point!!!
If pictures are needed let me know. Thanks!
First thing to check is for corrosion on your hubs. Pull the rotor, and see if there is rust/corrosion built up between the hub face and the rear of the brake rotor. If there is, get a whiz wheel and clean them both off.

Next check the caliper mounting bracket. Are the bolts straight and tight?? Not cross threaded??

Also, what brand of pads are you using?? Sometimes they are incorrect for the application, this is especially true with cheaper auto parts store brands.

Post pictures up if you can, we could better help you figure it out with a visual.

As fot the rear caliper bracket bolts, get the car as high up as you can and get a breaker bar under there. Should be able to get them loose with that if a regular ratchet won't do it.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

I'll be in atl this weekend. I did my brakes and they turned out great. If you make it worth my while I'll stop by and help you get it straightened out.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

yup each bolt floats, that's why there's a boot around each one, move the boot down a little and you'll see a flat spot where you can use an open end to tighten the bolt. Also make sure the bolts are greased, I had one of my originals seize up on me (original brakes). I had to heat it up to get it to move in and out freely, once I did that the brakes lined up correctly.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
yup each bolt floats, that's why there's a boot around each one, move the boot down a little and you'll see a flat spot where you can use an open end to tighten the bolt. Also make sure the bolts are greased, I had one of my originals seize up on me (original brakes). I had to heat it up to get it to move in and out freely, once I did that the brakes lined up correctly.
Ding Ding. You have a guide pin (thing with the boot he is refering too). If you cant make it budge, then you need to replace the bracket and buy new pins