Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bump Steer & Alignment when Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Bump Steer & Alignment when Lowering

Just lowered my 99 SS hardtop yesterday with Global west springs, Koni specials, Global west SFCs, LCAs, and BMR torque arm and panhard rod. The install went well, but I have two questions:
1.) What specs should I take to the alignment shop for my front end alignment? The car is used for aggressive street driving, and I have found in the past that more caster was needed, since the car loses so much directional stability at high speeds.
2.)My tie rods now point noticeably upwards towards the outer ends. I know baer makes a bump-steer kit with special ends, but I haven't heard of any of you using them or having problems with this issue. Shouldn't the tie rods be horizontal at ride heighth?

thx
Tony Elyas
99 SS Camaro
Signature soon
Old 12-08-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run my alignment at:

-1.3 camber
4.5 castor
1/32nd inch toe out

I get 30,000+ miles out of a set of front tires and drive it daily.

As for bump steer. You really want the tie rods to be parallel with the lower a arms and follow the arc of the lower a arms as closely as possible. I've not seen many (if any) people running the bump steer kits and since I've never measured the bump steer on my car, I can't say if it would be needed. I can say that my vehicle tracks quite well without any tweaking of the bump steer settings. Just my experience, I hope it helps.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Bump Steer & Alignment when Lowering