Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake fluid ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Brake fluid ???

I will be bleeding the brakes on my 99 t/a and 06 silverado soon. Is there a brand of brake fluid anyone recommends?
Also any tips/advice on changing the fluids? I am getting the motive power bleeder and know to start from the farthest wheel to the closest.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATE Super Blue is what most people recommend on here I think, and it's not terribly expensive.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a vehicle basically street driven? Valvoline Syntec has been a great fluid I've used in my tow rigs and personal cars for years and years.

For a track car ... Castrol SRF. Fill the system once and forget about it. The same basic fluid has been in my road race car since 2005. I never bleed the brakes.

Tip:

Buy a $0.99 turkey baster and suck all the old fluid out of the MC first. That way, when you fill it with the clean fluid, it doesn't contaminate a whole lot of clean fluid.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you know if I can get the Castrol SRF at like Autozone? Any ideas on how much of the stuff I need for each vehicle? Also would it be bad for me to use the Castrol SRF in the truck as well (that way I only need to buy one type)
Old 12-06-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SRF is $80/litre and only available at speed shops. If you are careful and know what you are doing, you can get it done with 1 litre

The point was that using SRF in race applications means you can treat like you do the fluid in a street car ... forget about it.

But SRF isn't for use in daily driver.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont bother with the SRF ****. i autox/track day my TA, and have had no complaints with ATE blue/clear. you can get it right off amazon, about $12 per liter, cheaper then anywhere else, and might get free shipping with it too. thats fine for a street car. a full flush once a year is always safe, no matter what you put into it.

a motive is fantastic, i use it and will never go back to pumping again. keep in mind you wont get the fluid out of the ABS block, but unless you have air trapped in it, i wouldnt worry so much about it. hitting the ABS while driving will help flush the old out and new in also.

if you do want to use ATE, first off flush the entire system with cheap DOT3 from any parts store. then after you get clean fluid at each caliper, swap to ATE. thats if you want to use ATE, since youll use alot of fluid during the flush. you cant get a gallon of no-name DOT3 very cheap, just for the flush.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid ???