Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Coilover Suspension Setups...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i guess your not talking to me then. cause i never said i was a self-proclaimed expert. i understand most things with the suspension. like LCA and PB and TA. but springs and shocks i get my info else were. my solid ground that helped me was Eric at MWC.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Actually, I was talking about you.

You claimed that a UMI part was a problem without knowing how it stayed tensioned, and didn't ask... just said it would be a problem (and it's not). You claimed while discussing Watts links that the frame of the one you like was plenty strong enough, I disagreed and it's since been beefed up or so I hear. And now you are yet again on the "it's fine" bandwagon.

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to an opinion. You just offer them with an air of authority, which in many ways in life might be good. I just hate fixing mistakes from shortsightedness and spend a lot of time doing that for folks who "read this was good on the internet". So maybe I'm overly sensitive to it when you say things like good enough, and fine, and works for me. That's a far cry from right in a lot of cases. There are folks who fix things with duct tape (and I'm not talking about heating ducts either) and call it good too--and really believe it.

So, here's a helpful hint. Some explanation as to why you think what you think, to give those who aren't as knowledgeable about things as you are, would be nice.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-01-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sam, you were beat up a lot in Jr. High, weren't you.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats wrong with duct tape? Makes for a great lift in a pinch!

Old 02-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Actually, I was talking about you.

You claimed that a UMI part was a problem without knowing how it stayed tensioned, and didn't ask... just said it would be a problem (and it's not). You claimed while discussing Watts links that the frame of the one you like was plenty strong enough, I disagreed and it's since been beefed up or so I hear. And now you are yet again on the "it's fine" bandwagon.

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to an opinion. You just offer them with an air of authority, which in many ways in life might be good. I just hate fixing mistakes from shortsightedness and spend a lot of time doing that for folks who "read this was good on the internet". So maybe I'm overly sensitive to it when you say things like good enough, and fine, and works for me. That's a far cry from right in a lot of cases. There are folks who fix things with duct tape (and I'm not talking about heating ducts either) and call it good too--and really believe it.

So, here's a helpful hint. Some explanation as to why you think what you think, to give those who aren't as knowledgeable about things as you are, would be nice.
hows that one quote go. believe only 10% of what you read on the internet. not saying my word is ****. just that it is my opinion on stuff.

-i still dont completely agree with the UMI design. i still think a set screw would have made people feel better.

-if eric did beef it up. it still isnt as big or heavy as the fays. ( i think i this one you just dont like the fact that his works on every rear out there including a back braced 9", again that is my Opinion ofr all out there. but i would understand if you feel this way a little. you try so hard to bring a great product out. and when you do someone release something just a little bit better. i had that happen to me. life goes on)

-and for a street car. the single adj strange coil will work fine for now. untill i feel i need to change stuff.

but i think you have a good idea sam. i should expalin my reasonings better. i can start doing that. then you dont ahve to keep "fixing" my opinions.

Last edited by Big_Bird_WS6; 02-03-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I give up..... well, not quite yet--after I make these points.

You had the weights figured wrong on both the Fays (because you assumed) and did not count the welded brackets for the unit you have. I pointed out that the differences were not nearly what you had assumed they were.

The UMI Roto-joint has no issues what so ever with loosening up. Again, you *assumed* that would be a problem, and did so without realizing there was a wave washer internally to keep pressure on the threaded portion (essentially a lock washer). You judged, incorrectly that there would be a problem based on what someone else opted to do. No questions, no understanding, just assumptions.

There are folks in this world that have knowledge, but not as much as they think they do, or overlook facts. Those folks know enough to be dangerous.

I strongly encourage you to explain better, but more to the point, do more research and have a better basis for your feelings. I'd love to not have to point out and "Fix" your opinions. I have plenty of work to do, I only have to point things out because folks too often believe only what they read......
Old 02-04-2010, 07:23 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
I was reading this post and I am still wondering how it went from setting Up single or double adjustable shocks to our Roto Joint Design!!!! Big Bird aren't you the gentleman that makes and sells his own version of the Roto joint? I can understand when you ordered a set of UMI's and compared them to yours. But I can assure you have the 2 compression washers do work seeing how this particular products been tested and proven. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 02-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Banned

brad. i never ordered a set from you. and i dont sell stuff on here. i am not a sponsor. so i dont eant that brought up.

and the only reason you got brought up was becuase the last 3 ways sam and i bumbed heads on were the watts, the roto, and coil over. so UMI's product was brought up in here to just explain my self better.

the Johnny joint i used to sell. ahs a snap ring that holds it together. and spohn has a set screw. i think you have a great piece and it would ahve to be for UMI or Ryan to put his name on it. but the set screw would have set a few more people at ease. that is all i think about it.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:37 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
I was just asking...I remember talking to you on the phone about the front A-Arm Roto Joints. I was not trying to stir anything up ....lol. We have talked about doing the set screw. But there still is a possibility for that backing out as well. What it comes down to is a personal preference. But if anyone has any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 02-04-2010, 12:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Sam, you were beat up a lot in Jr. High, weren't you.
Never actually.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My understanding's that using the wave lock washers actually cost UMI more than using traditional methods(set screw). So why would UMI use a design that cost more, unless they found some good reason that it was a better choice over a set screw.
Plus I really doubt that if using the wave lock washers was a foreseeable safety issue that UMI would even put it into mass production, unless of course, they didn't care about the companies future.
I've had no problem there suspension products, and I doubt I will.
Keep up with the great products UMI !
Old 02-04-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, off topic!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:17 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
Thanks for the nice comments about UMI Performance! Yes our roto joint is a little more $pricey$ to make but we just think of it as extra security, and just a easier part to work with (when need to rebuild). Our customers safety is our #1 Priority. We don't manufacture a product and throw it out to the public like some other manufactures. And when we test a product it is actually on our own vehicles and sponsored vehicles for as long as a year. So when I say they are tested and proven I can reassure you they are. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: Coilover Suspension Setups...