Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Please help me diagnose this problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010 | 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Please help me diagnose this problem.

Guys for the past few months I have been having a horrible knocking noise. This video is of me pushing down on the wheel wheel as well as me lifting up on the wheel well. At first I thought it was coming from the front left suspension but it seems not to be the case. The suspension was checked and everything was tightened the way it was suppose to be. The noise happens when taking off from a dead stop as well as coming to a stop. It seems to be the worse when turning into my driveway. Please help. I can not figure this out for the life of me.

Old 01-21-2010 | 01:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

I think we discussed this earlier....

You could have a broken shock mount, the mount itself it not tightened snugly against the shock (doubt this is it would have been noisy from the start). The bolts holding the shock (and upper a-arm) into the car could be loose. Could be loose rod-ends on the control arms (but now hearing it I'd say that's not as likely as I thought before). You need to get the car in the air, and start moving things and find it... could be a number of things.

I'd recommend you jack the car up some, use a pry-bar under the tire and move it up and down and see if you chase down the noise better.

I've never heard a shock make that noise unless is was hugely broken. The problem is I can't see the car, and when you push the body down lots of things move. The shock, spring, a-arms, and anything that's not connected as it should be can also start to move and make noises like that.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: Please help me diagnose this problem.