Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS inop problem. TIRED of it...

Old 04-15-2010, 08:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS inop problem. TIRED of it...

This will be a long read, so I apologize in advance.

A while back, I went from 18's all the way around, to a 18/19 set up. From that moment on, my ABS inop light would stay on, and would affect my braking. I could feel the ABS kicking in almost every time I braked. I ran like that for a while until I got so sick of it, I sold my wheels and got a 17/18 set up.

Well it worked for a while, no abs inop light or braking issues. Just about a month ago, when I would start up my car and start to drive, the "low traction" light would come on every time I tried to brake, and I could BARELY brake. It would do this until inevitably, the "ABS inop" light would come on. It comes on intermittently, and when it IS on, sometimes I will brake fine, sometimes I will feel the ABS kick in, and sometimes the brake pedal will be so stiff, I can't press it at all, at which point I will have to let off the brake and press it again to get it to work.

Sometimes when I brake, I can feel the car pulling to the left like crazy, and I will have to let off the brakes and reapply them in order to brake. This problem is both annoying AND very dangerous. It's getting to the point to where I sometimes don't want to drive my car at all.

My current tire set up is 275/40/17 295/35/18 so the diameters are close enough that it shouldn't matter. The light turns off almost everytime I start my car and start to drive, but it comes on regardless. Someone said it's the ABS module, but if that were the case, wouldn't the light CONSTANTLY be on? Is it a sensor, relay, fuse? I'm at my wits end with this problem, and it seems that it will never be fixed.

If ANYONE could give me some incite to this issue, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue, but I dont have a staggered wheel set. I run 17s all around, why dont you get the car scanned?

Either the dealer or some one with the right scanner. Should be able to pinpoint what hub sensor it is, or if it's the one on the rear end.

At least you havent been in a middle of a AX run when you realize no ABS. Lock up tires so easily!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS inop problem. TIRED of it...