Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Optional Bilstein Vs. Bilstein HD

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Optional Bilstein Vs. Bilstein HD

What is the difference between the two shockS? Which is better? which will lower the car more just basic questions. If any one has experience with either shock please advise me. Any information will be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shocks do not lower the car, that is done by the springs. There are some differences in the valving of the shocks. As I remember, the oem/SLP version has more rebound, but less compression and of course the HD's are the reverse of that. But I don't have the specifics. What are you doing with the car? (track, autocross, driver, drag strip, etc).
Old 01-11-2004, 04:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trackbird
Shocks do not lower the car, that is done by the springs. There are some differences in the valving of the shocks. As I remember, the oem/SLP version has more rebound, but less compression and of course the HD's are the reverse of that. But I don't have the specifics. What are you doing with the car? (track, autocross, driver, drag strip, etc).
Yes, the SLP Bislteins have more rebound, and slightly less bump than the HDs. However, the extra rebound is really not enough for 500lb/in springs. I have a set of SLP Bilsteins with 1LE Springs (360lbs/in), and they are a bit loose on rebound for those. All of the aftermarket springs that I know of are well over 400 lbs/in, so I can imagine that those would be looser.

On the other hand, I like the lower bump rate, it makes the ride a little better, and keeps the wheels from skipping.