Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking for some suggestions on shocks..

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looking for some suggestions on shocks..

Just curious what everyone's running and how they like them..

My SS is a daily driver thats basically stock suspension-wise other than a pro kit, LCA's, LCA relocation brackets, and subframe connectors.

I don't have a whole lot of $ to spend, I'd really like to get the CME on soon too... Just looking for something that'll be a pretty decent ride for a lowered daily driver, and good places to buy from. I've checked out some of strano's stuff, ws6store as well.. will check out a few more.. If I don't find anything I like for a decent price, i'll probably just wait and save some cash for some later.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Konis sa. for daily driving. Affco for race cars.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a budget I would get Bilsteins......I ended up with Koni's and have been really happy with them.... GOOD f-body shock options are pretty limited. I would call Sam Strano and tell him how you use the car and will make a recommendation for you....
Old 05-11-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i'd like to get konis, but bilsteins are a lot cheaper.. i hate having to "settle", but the car could really use some new ones right now
Old 05-11-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

konis...if you cant get them now bilsteins or kyb agx.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

any big differences in the agx and bilstein? appreciate the help guys..
Old 05-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Banned

I would recommend Bilsteins if you are on a serious budget. Koni's are by far and away my first choice though.

I have set up a few cars with Bilstein HD's and Eibach Pro-Kits and also with Hotchkis springs and they do quite well.

My own personal preference, I would go with Bilsteins over KYB's, even if it were my own car. I carry all three brands however.

PM or E-mail me and I can get you pricing if you like.

-Mike

(mleaf@zenithmotorsports.com)
Old 05-12-2010, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

you want bilsteins, i'd recommend their race shocks ($775 pair)
or maybe penskes depending on your budget... unbalanced engineering sells them modified to fit.

however... if you are on a tight budget, i'd recommend koni sa's for a fraction of the price of the bilsteins.

you could go with bilstein hd, but then again, why do you want to get rid of the stock shocks?
Old 05-12-2010, 03:38 AM
10 Second Club

Do you have a link to some of the Bilstein Race shocks? I've never seen these. I just got some Bilsteins and I like them a lot on my DD.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Default I have the SLP Bilsteins and Hotchkis springs

I swapped them out with the originals at 35k miles and the difference was very profound, especially at eliminating the wandering effect at at higher highway speeds. That said I can still feel where there's some room for improvement and the Koni's would probably take care of that.

But overall I'm very satisfied, Hotchkis drops the car only about an inch (maybe a bit more) thus improving the looks of the stance and the combined package provides a very nice ride with much better control at higher speeds.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bill12690
any big differences in the agx and bilstein? appreciate the help guys..
Let's see... what do you know about both shock types so far? Are you aware that the AGX's are compression and rebound adjustable with a single ****? Bilstiens are non adjustable.

Here's the impression that I've gotten from research:

1. Bilstiens will work decent early in their life on lowering springs and then progressively become worn pretty quickly and not dampen springs as well. They are a solid replacement for stock springs. Bilstien makes great quality shocks.

2. AGX's aren't as good on the quality and build scale. One **** adjusting both compression and rebound isn't ideal for ride quality or even handling. I heard KYB won't warranty their shocks if they know you put aftermarket springs on them.

That being said, I never owned either shock. I've had koni SA's. As long as you at least consider Koni's first. I think given the details above that Koni's are worth the price of two sets of the above, but that's just me
Old 05-12-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

^^^ honestly, idk sh*t about shocks, lol. but yeah, i may just wait for the konis after all..

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
why do you want to get rid of the stock shocks?
well, theyre getting old.. squeaky at times.. car sometimes feels like it'll drive where it wants at higher speeds.. i didn't want to spend $900 on shocks, but.. we all know its an addiction some way or another.

Last edited by bill12690; 05-12-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Between AGX's and Bilstein's it'd be Bilstein's all the way for a street car. The pricing is similar, SLP Bilstein's are $409.99/set shipped (at least until this batch is gone at which time the free shipping is ending). The AGX's are $379.99/set plus shipping--so pricing is very similar. Bilstein's are much better built, AGX's are "adjustable" but make no mistake it's not an adjuster like Koni's have, it's much more coarse.

And finally as of right now, 5/12/10, SLP Bilstein's are in stock but AGX's are on backorder with no ETA on restock.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bill12690
^^^ honestly, idk sh*t about shocks, lol. but yeah, i may just wait for the konis after all..

well, theyre getting old.. squeaky at times.. car sometimes feels like it'll drive where it wants at higher speeds.. i didn't want to spend $900 on shocks, but.. we all know its an addiction some way or another.
It depends on what kind of ride you'll be satisfied with. Lots of people are so focused on the price. Basically.. if you think you'll like the ride of Bilstiens or AGX's then you'll save money by buying those... if you think you won't like those types of rides, then you could end up spending the price of the cheaper shocks + price of better shocks after. Goal is to figure out what you want... I know it's easier said than done though and most people dont find out until they buy.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sxracerb25
Do you have a link to some of the Bilstein Race shocks? I've never seen these. I just got some Bilsteins and I like them a lot on my DD.
http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/Bilstein/
Old 05-13-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

For someone looking to save cash, 725 per pair is probably a lot
Old 05-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bobbyd
konis...if you cant get them now bilsteins or kyb agx.
What kinda wheels are on your car? Anymore pictures? Sorry to hi-Jack the thread.