Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

remove power steering or not??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default remove power steering or not??????

putting my car back 2geather and was think bout loseing all the power steering pump, lines and just caping off the fitting on the stock rack.

will this take enuff weight off to matter? or just leave it on there,

o ya i got skinny up front so it ant that bad to steer.

what you guy think?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

I think your car would be a real bitch to drive in stop and go traffic without it. And, you won't lose enough pounds to matter.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

I drove my old blue '00 Z28 with the lines looped for a long time. Even the 100lb soaking wet girl I was dating at the time drove it some.... But the car had a spool, so it always fought you alittle lol, it was tough pulling into a parking spot. But if I had it to do over... I'd still do it. Just depends on the car and the person. My Firehawk has ps, and will always have ps.

Chris
Old 05-20-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I drove my full weight SS around for a while without P/S and it wasnt that bad but that was only because the pulley broke in half on it. As soon as I got a chance I put it back on. The pump is not heavy at all. The only way I would do it again is if I bought a manual rack and pinion. Its just kinda shade tree ya know?
Old 05-20-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you have already done a lot of weight shedding, then yea, ditch it. But if you have other things to remove, do them first. The little bit of weight you will save by removing the pump and lines isn't worth it (imo) if you haven't shed weight elsewhere first.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fast377
If you have already done a lot of weight shedding, then yea, ditch it. But if you have other things to remove, do them first. The little bit of weight you will save by removing the pump and lines isn't worth it (imo) if you haven't shed weight elsewhere first.
Lol, true. Deleting PS on an otherwise full-weight car would kinda be retarded IMO. My car was pretty light, no a/c heat radio and such. Loved the **** outta it, but don't think I could handle it anymore... guess I'm getting old.. lol

Chris
Old 10-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Teching In

I am thinking of doing the same thing ( looping the lines ) I want to do this to give the motor back a bit more power. The question I have is it reliable or can it fail on me?