Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brakes grinding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes grinding?

I installed rotors and pads about a month ago, and i noticed that at low speeds (under 10mph), it feels like there's some sort of grinding going on. I can also hear a bit of vibration. What could it be?
Old 05-23-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

mettalic pads??
Old 05-23-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might want to check to make sure the pad clips aren't grinding on the rotor. GL
Old 05-24-2010, 05:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LWCS561
I installed rotors and pads about a month ago, and i noticed that at low speeds (under 10mph), it feels like there's some sort of grinding going on. I can also hear a bit of vibration. What could it be?
I did pads and rotors several weeks ago and (failed to grease the backs of the pads) so after a few weeks, I noticed a slight grinding at slow speeds and the front rotors were getting slightly marked up. What happened was the backing on the pads were getting pushed off and sliding to the edge of the pads and scraping on the rotors somehow. This was happening on all four wheels but it was only bad enough to start making noise in the front.
I took all the pads off, repositioned the pad backings to where they were supposed to be (which was not really optimal since they were now slightly bent up), greased them and now no more noise.
I don't know if its the same problem, but it might be depending on if you greased the back of the pads or not.

I have brembo blank rotors in front and power stop blanks in back, and power stop Z26 pads all around. I only say this in case you have the same pads and it's something common with these particular pads.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

i didnt grease the pads...****. can i still do that?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LWCS561
i didnt grease the pads...****. can i still do that?
Yeah, it's the same thing I did. Just take the pads off and make sure the backing is in the right place on the pads, (you may have to manipulate them a little to get them on right) lightly grease the back of the pads and put them back on. Be sure to put a little grease on the slider pins, another possible source of binding.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KTK Z28
Might want to check to make sure the pad clips aren't grinding on the rotor. GL
I'm sure the rear passenger clip is grinding(started after and accident, got t-boned on that wheel) on my rotor,
what could be causing this? My car is all fixed now and I started seeing cuts in my rotor, so I changed my brakes I lined up the lines to the clip(mounting things) and that was it. I thought it was just me but when I put my new ads and dimpled/sloted rotors it sound like a damn weed wacker!

Quick Reply: brakes grinding?