Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2000 trans am mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 trans am mods

I have a 2000 NBM M6 Trans Am (not Ws6), my goals/ plans for the car is to make it along the lines of a road race set up but still streetable (live in flat KS so not so worried about bumps of any sort). Current mods consist of 17x9.5 rims, headers and full exhaust cats deleted, Msd wires and plugs LSS (stock hurst). I am debating about what to due next I currently have the trans out for rebuild and so it will be getting a new clutch, slave, master, steel forks, and aluminum flywheel. My dilima is what other mods I want to do, I am leaning real hard on rearend gears (4.10), but should I get a new shifter, or go with a cold air intake of some short, or lower it? and what parts have you guys used and likes/dislikes? after trans rebuild I have $600 in my budget to spend on the car for what I call stage one results so trying to figure what will give me the best results.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

I would start working on the suspension....shocks/springs/sub frame connectors/lower control arms/strut tower brace. I would also replace the sway bar end links, and sway bar bushings. This will help with better control and be able to put the power to the ground alot better. You will notice a big diffrence over a stock set-up.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

was wanting to stay away from suspension mods this go around so that I could get a good baseline, but shocks and springs would probably be a good starting point, since the car has 110000 miles on it, i would like to lower the car about 1 inch is there a really good shock/spring kit that anyone would suggest
Old 05-31-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by onebad400
was wanting to stay away from suspension mods this go around so that I could get a good baseline, but shocks and springs would probably be a good starting point, since the car has 110000 miles on it, i would like to lower the car about 1 inch is there a really good shock/spring kit that anyone would suggest
If you're wanting to road race then not upgrading the suspension would be one of the dumbest things you could do. The stock shocks are by far the weakest link to our handling and ride, this should be #1 on your list before all other mods including engine mods. These cars make plenty of power stock for road racing/auto-x, you need to get the car to turn and be stable if you want to compete.
Search the suspension section and keep an eye out for "koni" and "Strano"
Old 05-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

well so shocks it is, does lowering the car make any difference?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by onebad400
well so shocks it is, does lowering the car make any difference?
Yup, they sure do. But make sure you get a good set (i.e. good springs rates and drop). Search, ask questions and talk to the road racers before you make up your mind. There is also a fbody specific road race/autox site you can search: http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/ (you have to register to see everything)

Quick Reply: 2000 trans am mods