Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What is to be expected???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is to be expected???

Well my birthday is coming here at the end of the month and the wife agreed to buy a bunch of suspension pieces for the camaro. So I took the liberty to comprise a list, I want to know what should be expected by swapping these parts out. Also that I'm not spinning my wheels and buying stuff I dont need. All of the parts will be UMI;

double adj rear kit w/roto joints,
lca relocators,
phb relocation kit,
chromoly adj tq arm,
trans crossmember with tq arm relocation kit

Is there anything that I'm missing and where is the place to get the best deal?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 AM
On The Tree

There's no point to getting the phb relocation kit unless you are looking to extent a true dual exhaust to the back bumper of the car. It provides absolutely no suspension benefit.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

I was thinking of getting the phb relocation kit to have the option to run true duals in the future. Does UMI offer the control arms and phb in chromoly? The car in question has 45k on it and has all stock components in the rear. Is there going to be a noticeable difference with these parts?
Old 06-08-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How soon are you wanting to run these duals and how big? For 3" yes you need the relocation kit, but if its 2.5" there is no reason to relocate the panhard. And don't worry about the LCA relocators just yet. Wait until you have aftermarket LCAs, then see if you have any wheel hop issues. This is coming from a guy that has them. If you have no wheel hop issues, you are better off without them. What is the double adjustable rear kit with roto joints? lower control arms maybe? You've also got me a little confused because you have adjustable upper and lower control arms listed in your sig but say all rear components are stock. I'm guessing those must be the A-arms then? if the double adjustable rear kit is LCAs, there is no use in having those adjustable unless you plan to run a very large tire outback that would require fine tuning for fitment, granted I just looked and for reasons I can't figure out it looks like the adjustable and non-adjustable dual roto-joint options cost the same price, so no reason not to go adjustable I suppose. Also, even though its not a bad idea, unless you have major mods that arent listed then you'll be fine keeping the torque arm on the tail shaft for now. I would make a list something like this instead.....

UMI adjustable full length torque arm (regular steel is fine. For anything but a hardcore strip car, chrome-molly is pretty much throwing money out the window.)

UMI LCAs w/ dual rotojoint (adjustable or non-adjustable, whatever you want)

UMI adjustable panhard bar

UMI weld-in subframe connectors

Not sure exactly how the cost of those components ads up compared to what you have listed, but if an Item were to be removed I'd make it the subframe connectors.

Last edited by nighthawk15; 06-08-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:41 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

make new shocks the top item on your list.
better yet, make calling Sam Strano the top item on your list. New shocks should be your first purchase.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input guys. The car has adj front upper and lower control arms right now. The rear kit from UMI is rear lower control arms and panhard bar. I'm running 295/35/18's in the rear. Also the car has koni's and Strano springs on it right now. Mainly I want to buy things once and not have to back track. There are plans of putting a stroker in the car. So I really hope I'm taking a step in the right direction with the purchase of these parts.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Thanks for considering UMI Performance for your suspension needs. One thing that I noticed you don't have on your list or on your ride already is a set of SFC's. I notice they were mentioned above but I would highly suggest that they would be on the list. Seeing how you are looking to spend the $ right the first time just think of them as insurance when keeping the dimples off the quarter panels. And they will also help with weight transfer as well. You will notice a huge difference in the feeling of the chassis strength and drive-ability.

We do offer 2 versions a weld on and a bolt on application. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: What is to be expected???