Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bumpsteer

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Bumpsteer

Ok I've got a 2000 z28 with alot of bumpsteer or i guess thats what it would be called. I had a problem with the car pulling one way and eating pads on the passenger side. I replaced both front calipers, brackets, pads and all 4 rotors and the rear pads had just been installed not long before. Well after all that the car still feels weird in the front. It tries to go with the grooves in the road. (very rough around here). Seems worse when you hit the brakes. Its nothing so bad that you can't drive it its just where you can tell something not right. I thought maybe I didn't have a sway bar or something but its there. The car looks lowered its got 18 inch Dant'e wheels on it with 255 40s on the front and 275 35s on the back. Theres about 2 1/4 inches between the top of the tire and the lip on the back and about 2 3/4 on the front. If its been lowered with stock shocks would this cause this. It also rides quite a rougher than my WS6.
Thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 207 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

they do make tie rods for bumpsteer problems on lowered cars
Old 06-30-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
Ok I've got a 2000 z28 with alot of bumpsteer or i guess thats what it would be called. I had a problem with the car pulling one way and eating pads on the passenger side. I replaced both front calipers, brackets, pads and all 4 rotors and the rear pads had just been installed not long before.
Did this fix the pad wear problem? This sounds like a different problem then what you are describing below.
Well after all that the car still feels weird in the front. It tries to go with the grooves in the road. (very rough around here). Seems worse when you hit the brakes. Its nothing so bad that you can't drive it its just where you can tell something not right.
This is called "trammeling", and can be caused by "wide" tires. Many stock Fbodies experience this, I think there are a few things you can do to counter it (other than getting less wide tires), and one is playing with your tire pressure. Search for "trammeling".
Old 06-30-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
....This is called "trammeling", and can be caused by "wide" tires. Many stock Fbodies experience this, I think there are a few things you can do to counter it (other than getting less wide tires), and one is playing with your tire pressure. Search for "trammeling".

I agree. One other thing you could try is tweaking the toe-in setting a little....
Old 07-01-2010, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

When was the last time it was aligned?????? Have you replaced the outer tie rod ends? Ball joints??

Quick Reply: Bumpsteer