Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lt1 to ls1 rack conversion done, quick question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default lt1 to ls1 rack conversion done, quick question

I just finished installing a LS rack and intermediate shaft on my LT1 car and wonder how best to get both sides equally distant on the rack. On the driver side, I have only about 10 threads showing, while on the passenger side I have at least 3x or 4x more threads than the driver side. I'm curious if anyone knows what the distance is side to side for a rack that is dead centered. I figured I could start from there.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to burst your bubble but you need to find a LS1 intemediate sahft to do it correctly. The I-shaft for the LS1 cars are clocked differently. Find one and you will be set back up at equal lengths on both sides.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have the intermediate shaft installed. I'm looking at the rack side to side and trying to understand if I can get it to zero out before I put the tie rods on.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Turn the wheel to full lock. Turn the wheel opposite way to lock counting the number of turns. Divide the number by two, make that number of turns and the rack will be close to center.

You are looking at about 1 3/8 turn or 1 1/8 turn depending upon which suspension package that came with the car that the rack came from.

There is no "mechanical" way of centering the rack.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have about 2 1/2 turns lock to lock the way it is now. I set the steering wheel/wheels straight before i took the rack off. I installed the new rack and then threaded on the new tie rod ends to fit.

here's the driver side...

and passenger side...

Old 08-02-2010, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

SO you have a LS1 intermediate shaft and not the LT1 shaft, then what you can do, is set your steering wheel center, take a string and from a given point inner side wall of the front of the tire to the frame rail is X then measure the back of the tire to the frame is Y then do the same to the other side. adjust both side even. If you dont want to go thur all that just take it to a shop to align it. It may not alway be the same lengths but that looks a little to much off. Jsut from the pics I still think you got the wrong shaft cause it looks like a quater of a rotation of the steering wheel is off.