Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

car wandering over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car wandering over bumps

Car is starting to wander over bumps and feels somewhat unstable above 70mph. I'll be fighting the steering wheel to keep the car from turning on its own, especially over bumps. In town the has no issues except for bumps. Theres slight play in the steering wheel but its overall tight like my SS was. Just curous what you guys think so I can plan on getting the money to fix it.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't see anything mentioning better shocks than stock, and your complaint covers the two biggest issues of poor damping. A lack of stability and the car moving around a lot over bumps.

So, as I often find myself doing, I have to recommend some better dampers first and foremost.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles on the car? The tie rods and/or ball joints could be getting a little tired....
Old 08-05-2010, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

I have 115k on mine, and it started doign that as well. I started with wheel balance and that didnt help, then looked at alinement and tie rods, once I got the new tie rods and alignment, the play was gone, and less pull now. One issue that will not go away is the pull over bumps and ruts in the road, but that is being cause by the wide tires most of us run on these. To help that, work with the PSI on the front tires until you find a good range that you like the best for your driving.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Car has 77600 on it. I'll have to look into the tie rods and alignment.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1:

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I don't see anything mentioning better shocks than stock, and your complaint covers the two biggest issues of poor damping. A lack of stability and the car moving around a lot over bumps.

So, as I often find myself doing, I have to recommend some better dampers first and foremost.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You still have your stock shocks, right? Replace those and you'll have a totally different car.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
You still have your stock shocks, right? Replace those and you'll have a totally different car.
agreed, but should have said replace them with GOOD shocks. cheap replacements may not help much.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Veteran

True, however if the tie rods, ball joints, control arm bushings, or sway bar bushings are worn out, he'll then have a nice riding car that wanders all over the place...
Old 08-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
True, however if the tie rods, ball joints, control arm bushings, or sway bar bushings are worn out, he'll then have a nice riding car that wanders all over the place...
Do you think that's likely after 75K miles?
Old 08-06-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Do you think that's likely after 75K miles?
I would say that it's within the realm of possibility, without knowing the condition of the roads that the car has been driven on, bumps, potholes, a lot of wet weather to "wash out" the grease, etc... At 75,000 miles I'd be looking at the front end wear parts very carefully.

I also realize that I have the tools and experience to replace those parts myself, so it's cheaper for me to replace these parts than somebody that has to pay somebody to do it for them. Therefore I sometimes recommend replacement too quickly, but you also have to keep in mind that these are the components that keep your car under control. Break a b/j or tie rod while at speed, and you've got issues on your hands, in short order.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd say before throwing down a gazillion dollars on random ****, you should jack up the front end of the car (using jack stands), grab the tires and check for excessive movement. like for outer tie rods, (hold 9/3 oclock position to check tie rods) if you notice a lot of movement around the outer tie rod area, replace those for like $40 each yourself.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for input. If all I'm looking at is normal wear and tear items thats ok. I wish I had the coin for some Koni 4/4s.

Also, I did notice my front swaybar is gone as the previous owner took it off. Will not having the front swaybar have that much effect or is it possibly a number of possible things contributing?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

i was going to say check the sway bar bushings and end links. but if they are not there then could be the problem. but still "shake down" the front end. if it has play side to side on the tire have someone lay under to find out if its inner or outer tie rod ends. outer rods only take about 10mins each side to change. hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issues with wandering on the freeway, was really scary having to snap the steering wheel 15* to counter steer bumps/ruts on the freeway, was more of an issue on the freeway. I went through my suspension links and all was nice and tight.

I gave up troubleshooting the wandering and figured it was just a f-body chassis issue. The wandering did not go away until I put new shocks - which were Koni's, I was doubtful the shocks would help out with the wandering so much, but they sure did.

If Koni's are out of the question, the AGX adjustable's or re-valved Bilsteins Sam sells are right on the money from what I've read.

My steering wander did not go away until the Koni's went on, because my stock struts were completely shot - I tested them after taking them off and they would not de-complress at all

Koni's were a very expensive option for my budget, took me a while to save up for them, and will take me even longer to get a proper working strut from them (adjuster issues different topic)... You pay a big price for Koni's performance, this does NOT mean you will get your money's worth in service or quality control... but that is another different topic...

Last edited by Dmitriy; 08-16-2010 at 08:05 AM. Reason: cause i cant fucking spell or structure my sentences to save a drowning child; fuck it
Old 08-16-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Asian LSX
Thanks for input. If all I'm looking at is normal wear and tear items thats ok. I wish I had the coin for some Koni 4/4s.

Also, I did notice my front swaybar is gone as the previous owner took it off. Will not having the front swaybar have that much effect or is it possibly a number of possible things contributing?
No front swaybar along with possible bad shocks and worn tie rod ends would certainly have some off handling characteristics.

Check the parts forum it's possible to find either a good used aftermarket or stock front swaybar that would certainly help your situation.

I would also agree with checking rod ends and just alignment in general can cause wandering issues.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd check on shocks, check the tie rods

and if its ever been apart, like the k member out, check the bolt on the rag joint at the rack, I've had a car that that someone didnt tighten that on good enough and ther steering had play
Old 08-18-2010, 12:19 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for well detailed input guys.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:29 PM

Same issue. I just had alignment and even changed the complete rack. Tie rods are fine. Only 35k on my 93. Pulls side to side. Original struts. Car is like new but I can't stand driving it.

Quick Reply: car wandering over bumps