Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rear spring rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default rear spring rubbing

what would cause the driver's side rear spring to be rubbing the frame rail on the outer side of the spring? i also notice that sometimes when i take off straight (not even a hard launch), the rear end will feel like it's squirming around, and it sometimes does it really bad when i'm giving it some gas going around a turn.

with the car parked, i can push down on the rear end, and you can hear the spring scraping the frame rail. the panhard bar is adjusted properly (adjustable UMI unit), it's not off-center because of that.

btw, i am lowered on Strano springs & Koni shocks, but this hasn't started until just recently, it's been fine for the past 2 years or so.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would really check adjustment on that panhard rod again. Did you measure the distance on both sides?

Put the rear tires up on some ramps and have someone push down so you can see where its rubbing. Then adjust the panhard rod accordingly. It needs to be adjusted with the suspension loaded, not hanging freely.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, i adjusted it and measured with the rear end loaded (backed the car up on ramps), and i've checked, double-checked, and triple-checked the PHR.....when i originally adjusted it for the 1.2" drop, i had a weighted string from the top of each wheel well, and measured out from the outer lip of the wheels on each side, they were within 1/8" of each other.....this car has never been wrecked, and it's been fine for a couple years.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

so i was finally able to completely get up under the car and check things out....it turns out the top of the driver's side spring had shifted back & left, toward the outside of the car. i think it happened one day when i was jacking the car up to rotate the wheels front/back, and didn't realize it shifted.

got it all realigned, and all is good again
Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what I was going to suggest. The spring will shift and/or fall out if you jack the rear up high. Glad it something easy.

Quick Reply: rear spring rubbing