Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjustable panhard bar bolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adjustable panhard bar bolt

This is on a 95 T/A. What kind of bolt is supposed to go here? I bought the car with this installed but the bar slides back and forth in the slot. I dont think its supposed to. Where can I find the right hardware for this spot? Thanks.
Also, what brand is this panhard bar?

Last edited by moderate Z28; 08-16-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it sliding back and forth, or does the bar just rotate? Its a rod ended bar so its supposed to rotate back and forth, but NOT slide side to side. Its hard to see from the pics, but are the rod end sleeves there? I cant imagine why they would be missing but people do all kinds of strange stuff to cars these days! haha How much movement would you say there is?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

its not a UMI phb
Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

The bolt is too small in diameter for the hole. Also, I cant figure out the procedure to adjust this thing. The endlink wont spin. Ive tried vice grips and pliers. Theres not much to grab onto but its like its frozen. And how in the heck do you move the rear over if you adjust the bar out. Naturally the bolts not going to go back in the hole if the bar is longer. How do you do it? My rear is about 2 inches to the right. Heres a video -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaQmRJbCRq0
Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

To adjust it i believe u loosen the nut and rotate the end. Keep the other end in place. Spray it with wd-40 since its stuck. Once u get the length u want u will need to push the axle over. Its a two man job, one to put the bolt in and the other to push. You may need to loosen or remove the lca's i cant remember. Be careful not to push the car off the jack stands. And for it being loose, it should have a sleeve built into it to take up the empty space in the bracket, they're basically spacers. I cant tell from the video if its there on both sides. Getting a thicker bolt wont fix it but does look like its the wrong size and would replace it.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 207 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

get a GM bolt....it has a shoulder on it....to fit in the rod end
Old 08-23-2010, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a GM bolt. The OEM GM bolt and nut is larger on one side than on the other, and fills up the rod ends completely. If it doesn't fit through the rod ends then you have the wrong rod ends on your panhard bar. Everybody that posted before sjsingle1 doesn't have a clue. You can find the hardware at a junkyard, or you can find somebody on Tech that is parting out a car. I might have one as well, but no guarantees.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

There are multiple problems here. The OE bolt is stepped and the mount has two different hole diameters to accommodate the stepped bolt. You have to buy the correct bolt from GM. The other problem is that the rod end is missing the adapter spacer that makes it the correct width. I am not sure what brand the PHR is (it's not ours) but it looks like a QA1 XR series rod end or possibly a copy so you may be able to use our rod end spacers. They correct the width and reduce the hole diameter to 14mm. Just contact Lee at BMR if you need to order some.

It also looks like the rod end is frozen in the threads of the PHR. Once the jam-nut is loosened, the rod end should turn freely on the threads. Before spending any money at all, I would try some penetrating oil and see if you can get that broken loose. If the threads are galled, it might just be less hassle to just buy a new PHR. Is the bar a single or double adjustable bar?
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks. Its a single adjustable. So when you buy an aftermarket PHB, it doesnt come with a nut and bolt for that end? You are supposed to use the stock bolt and nut?
Old 08-27-2010, 10:42 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by moderate Z28
Thanks. Its a single adjustable. So when you buy an aftermarket PHB, it doesnt come with a nut and bolt for that end? You are supposed to use the stock bolt and nut?
Yes, because it is a custom stepped bolt specific to this application only, they are only available through GM. The OE bolt is Grade 10.9 which is plenty strong and easily re-usable, the previous owner probably just lost it.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Adjustable panhard bar bolt