Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Speed Vibrations?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speed Vibrations?!

Im ready to lose my mind. I installed a prothane trans mount in my 2000 Camaro SS back in April and it seemed to wake up a dorment problem that my car had. I started getting a vibration at highway speeds like 60mph and up....So I read all the threads on here about the poly breaking in and that it would get better and what not....So I had the mount on there for like a month with no change. So i changed back to the stock mount figuring that would be it...nope still there. So then I bought an Energy Suspension trans mount and actually trimmed it down so it was the exact same height as the stocker....nope....ok at this point I started looking elsewhere, turned out the front U-Joint of my driveshaft had like the tiniest bit of play, so my bro in law gave me his stocker out of his 01 TA that he said was perfect when he had it on his car....Of course still vibrating. Ok at this point im thinking it must be my pinion angle, so let me install my UMI adjustable torque arm I got for my bday....preset to 0 from the factory still vibrates....and i adjusted it a little and it seems a tad better but its still vibrating. Please can someone give me some insight....I absolutely love my car but its making it almost a chore to drive on the highway...especially because I know Im most likely causing damage to something (tailshaft I hope not) Please someone help me...im at a loss.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone??
Old 08-30-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

When was the last time your wheels were balanced? Wheel balance vibrations typically start around 60 mph. Also it is a cheap and easy way to start the hunt for your vibration problem. Just make sure you go somewhere that will do a quality balance
Old 08-30-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, an out of balance wheel is very cheap to fix and can lead to a lot of vibration in the steering.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fire-formula 93
When was the last time your wheels were balanced? Wheel balance vibrations typically start around 60 mph. Also it is a cheap and easy way to start the hunt for your vibration problem. Just make sure you go somewhere that will do a quality balance
I actually had my wheels balanced right before this started happening....probably like 2-3 weeks prior to installing the new tranny mount that opened the problem door

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Yeah, an out of balance wheel is very cheap to fix and can lead to a lot of vibration in the steering.
Its not so much in the steering wheel.....it comes up through the shifter....like if i wanted to give myself a hand massage while im driving on the highway i could just grab the shifter for a while....also my passenger seat shakes, my visors shake, and if i hold my teeth almost together they will chatter like im shivering