Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can't line up the UMI Torque Arm Relocation Crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike135531bubba
stop whining, they are obviously trying to resolve the issue by sending you a brand new unit and you're refusing that? then you're trying to get an extra 10% off while you're at it? nice.....

i've bought a couple things from UMI and have had great results and their tech support is great too.
Why not get a new one? Because it will very likely have the same condition since it is being built to work with the same fixture. Plus I will be out the shipping cost.

Why hold them accountable? Because they're the experts selling a product at a premium.

Tech support? I had to drive the communication on this one.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Element
Sorry, I just don't see this as UMI's fault (nor would it have been BMR's fault, had it been their crossmember), and I don't see them not standing behind their product or attempting to make the customer happy. So if they aren't held accountable who is?

I bought the same relocation crossmember a couple weeks back after UMI told me it'd clear any set of duals. It didn't clear my set of Lane's, which stopped being built before UMI was around, as far as I know, and it wouldn't surprise me if they had never seen a set of them since they were jig-built in Texas. **** happens; you just have to deal with it. I wish the biggest headache with modding my car was just having to punch a bolt hole a little bigger here and there.True. This is not the first time and probably won't be the last time that I will need to modify a part that has been made specifically for my vehicle.
ib;violin;
Old 09-10-2010, 06:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS-1Z28
Why not get a new one? Because it will very likely have the same condition since it is being built to work with the same fixture. Plus I will be out the shipping cost.

Why hold them accountable? Because they're the experts selling a product at a premium.

Tech support? I had to drive the communication on this one.
Zach,

We are a smaller fabrication shop, not a huge warehouse that just ships items in boxes from other companies. We have the ability to double check items before they ship, whether it is in the fixture, off the drawing or fitted on the vehicle. You could be correct, if we shipped you one right off the shelf it may not fit... we need to figure this out and why it won't work for you. As you can see a couple people have posted with this item and they did fit so not every item coming off the jig is incorrect, could you have an incorrect one? Yes, everyone makes a mistake and something could have slipped.

I will install an uncoated one today on our shop car, make sure it fits and have it powder coated red. If you want to exchange it I will ship it with a return call tag in the package so we can get the other one back and inspect it.

Will this work? I will still offer you a credit/refund as well for the hassle and time lose it has caused.

Let me know. Thanks,
Ryan
Old 09-10-2010, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ib;violin;
Modifying cars requires end-user work, and if you've had to modify parts before, I don't see what the big deal about modifying this one is (especially given the simplicity of the fix; we're not talking incorrect welds or pieces put on backwards).

If their part is dimensionally correct, and doesn't fit on your car, the problem is with your car, and the fact that it's even further out of factory spec than the crossmember bolt tolerance size can handle.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW, can we say extortion?

sounds like your car is out of whack and these guys are bending over backwards to make you happy... and you want to bad-mouth them on a public forum AND ask for a discount on top of that
Old 09-10-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by VinR1
WOW, can we say extortion?

sounds like your car is out of whack and these guys are bending over backwards to make you happy... and you want to bad-mouth them on a public forum AND ask for a discount on top of that
Car has a clean title and drives great. Also, the stock crossmember bolts up just fine so I find it hard to believe that the car is "out of whack."

I think I may have been misunderstood here though because the discount was asked prior to my posts. Nowhere in my posts have I specifically asked for a reimbursement. I think that would be out of line since I'm pretty sure I've burnt the bridge on that.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Element
Modifying cars requires end-user work, and if you've had to modify parts before, I don't see what the big deal about modifying this one is (especially given the simplicity of the fix; we're not talking incorrect welds or pieces put on backwards).

If their part is dimensionally correct, and doesn't fit on your car, the problem is with your car, and the fact that it's even further out of factory spec than the crossmember bolt tolerance size can handle.
True, the act of opening up the slot is a minimal task at best. However, modifying the part by opening up the slot does decrease it's value if I ever try to sell it... Not sure if I ever will but if I do it would be viewed as a defect.

As far as checking the dimensions.. it may drop right on UMI's fixture with no problems - who knows. But, when comparing it to the stock crossmember it does not use the same hole pattern so right there we are not comparing apples to apples...
Old 09-10-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Zach,

We are a smaller fabrication shop, not a huge warehouse that just ships items in boxes from other companies. We have the ability to double check items before they ship, whether it is in the fixture, off the drawing or fitted on the vehicle. You could be correct, if we shipped you one right off the shelf it may not fit... we need to figure this out and why it won't work for you. As you can see a couple people have posted with this item and they did fit so not every item coming off the jig is incorrect, could you have an incorrect one? Yes, everyone makes a mistake and something could have slipped.

I will install an uncoated one today on our shop car, make sure it fits and have it powder coated red. If you want to exchange it I will ship it with a return call tag in the package so we can get the other one back and inspect it.

Will this work? I will still offer you a credit/refund as well for the hassle and time lose it has caused.

Let me know. Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

Did the crossember line up? I'd be interested in replacing it now that you mention you would be providing a packing slip. It was my understanding that I would be responsible for the shipping and had the replacement part show the same condition I would be opening up the slot anyhow. From my perspective, neither option appealed to me.

I know I asked Jerry, but are you at all interested in taking a look at my stock crossmember as this lines right up with my car? Let me know and I can ship it along with the replaced one if that's ok.

Ryan, I appreciate the gesture but I can't accept the reimbursement. My intention here was not to fight for the discount on my total order.

Thanks,
Zack
Old 09-10-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe you should try comparing your stock cross member to another stock cross member. Yours may be tweaked a little, a clean title just means no accidents were ever reported.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Valkyn
Maybe you should try comparing your stock cross member to another stock cross member. Yours may be tweaked a little, a clean title just means no accidents were ever reported.
You're right, I'm not the original owner so I would have no way of knowing if my car had been in a non-reported accident. However, I've been in and out of my car quite a bit... the mods in my sig only touch the surface of the work that I've done. I haven't seen any tell tale signs that indicate the frame's integrity has been compromised.

As far as comparing my crossmember to another stock crossmember I don't think I could. Without some kind of gage it would be difficult and likely inaccurate since I can't just lay one over another to compare their hole patterns. This is why I've offered my crossmember to UMI if they are interested in measuring it...
Old 09-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Teching In

I think that the best option would be to compare your measurements between your stock and UMI crossmember, and also a secondary one if possible to see if anything has been tweaked. Your car doesn't have to have been in a accident in order for something to be tweaked. Although I understand your dissapointment with having to alter something that should bolt right up, and put a stop on your task at getting the job done. They are willing to atleast try and fix the problem, which is more then some companies would attempt to do. Good luck on your problem, hope it gets sorted out!

But on a side note, I have never bought a item that has bolted up problem free (aftermarket wise).
Old 09-10-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus Sally, put your purse down and install the damn thing!

Just kidding btw, I had a few hitches when I installed mine but none that bad. I ended up getting violent with the crossmember/tranny/torque arm and it went on in there. I remember it took a 5 foot pry bar, but its been a while so I can't remember what exactly the issue was. I think it was getting the single non slotted hole aligned.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:20 AM
Launching!

All these problems and mine bolted up fine in 10 minutes! No issues here. I'm used to modifying parts to fit and this was probably one of the easiest things to install on the car.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:17 AM
FormerVendor

Ryan,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

Did the crossember line up? I'd be interested in replacing it now that you mention you would be providing a packing slip. It was my understanding that I would be responsible for the shipping and had the replacement part show the same condition I would be opening up the slot anyhow. From my perspective, neither option appealed to me.

I know I asked Jerry, but are you at all interested in taking a look at my stock crossmember as this lines right up with my car? Let me know and I can ship it along with the replaced one if that's ok.

Ryan, I appreciate the gesture but I can't accept the reimbursement. My intention here was not to fight for the discount on my total order.

Thanks,
Zack
Zack,

Again, sorry for any confusion. Usually with a defect return like this we would send a call tag with the new one to ship the other one back so there is no cost to you. Jerry may have just assumed you knew this, he is our tech here so he isn't real up to date on the sales end of it or return end, he is here to help you install the item.

Anyway, yes we pulled two relocation kits off the finished weld cart and installed both of them on Friday. Both fit on the car, however the hole you are having trouble with was a little off center... all four bolts went in with no trouble and still some movement in the crossmember. However like I said the bolt hole slot was at the max, so if there is any variance in your car compared to ours I could see a struggle to get the last bolt in. We all know that not every car is the same and this could be the issue.

We are going to move the slot slightly and open it up a little, our current hole and slot are actually smaller than stock now. But we can ship a replacement out on Monday with a call tag in the box.

Also last question, are you using a polyurethane trans mount? If so they make the install a little more difficult as well.

I hope that helps and I am glad we could work it out. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 09-11-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS-1Z28. I had similar trouble as you getting all the bolt holes to line up. I also have a umi torque arm relocation kit. Now what i had to end up doing was loose attach it then use a prybar between the transmission and the body of the car to move everything around enough to get that last hole to line up. Then get the last bolt started, THEN tighten everything down last. You can have your torque arm in the bushing thats on the cross member and also have your trans mount attached tight. But the 4 main bolts that connect it to the body need to be left loose until you get all 4 started. Thats how i did mine.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
LS-1Z28. I had similar trouble as you getting all the bolt holes to line up. I also have a umi torque arm relocation kit. Now what i had to end up doing was loose attach it then use a prybar between the transmission and the body of the car to move everything around enough to get that last hole to line up. Then get the last bolt started, THEN tighten everything down last. You can have your torque arm in the bushing thats on the cross member and also have your trans mount attached tight. But the 4 main bolts that connect it to the body need to be left loose until you get all 4 started. Thats how i did mine.
I tried to line up the crossmember without having the torque arm and the transmission mount attached... I wasn't miles away as mentioned but I was off a couple mm... Since the slot is net crosscar, a 2-3mm outboard condition would not allow me to loosely start all 4 bolts.

One way or another I'll get it in there.. and from Ryan's post I feel confident that this will be resolved with the replacement crossmember.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Zack,

Again, sorry for any confusion. Usually with a defect return like this we would send a call tag with the new one to ship the other one back so there is no cost to you. Jerry may have just assumed you knew this, he is our tech here so he isn't real up to date on the sales end of it or return end, he is here to help you install the item.

Anyway, yes we pulled two relocation kits off the finished weld cart and installed both of them on Friday. Both fit on the car, however the hole you are having trouble with was a little off center... all four bolts went in with no trouble and still some movement in the crossmember. However like I said the bolt hole slot was at the max, so if there is any variance in your car compared to ours I could see a struggle to get the last bolt in. We all know that not every car is the same and this could be the issue.

We are going to move the slot slightly and open it up a little, our current hole and slot are actually smaller than stock now. But we can ship a replacement out on Monday with a call tag in the box.

Also last question, are you using a polyurethane trans mount? If so they make the install a little more difficult as well.

I hope that helps and I am glad we could work it out. Thanks!
Ryan
Ryan,

This sounds good. Right now I am using the energy suspension rubber trans mount as I've read a polyurethane trans mount on rubber engine mounts adds additional strain on the bellhousing and could potentially crack it.

When I tried to install the crossmember the last time I tried to remove any variable I could that may be causing the misalignment. I tried to install it without the torque arm or the transmission mount attached and i was having the same outboard condition on the driver's side slot. Sounds like the replacement will line up better and have additional clearance so with that I think it should go right in.

Thanks!
Zack
Old 10-16-2010, 03:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Any update on this?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:40 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Any update on this?
Customer received a replacement item and reported that the new one fit great this time. We received the first one back but it hasn't been checked yet to see where it could be wrong.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 10-17-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

So it does appear to be a faulty crossmember?

Quick Reply: Can't line up the UMI Torque Arm Relocation Crossmember