Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up suspension suggestions?

Hey guys im looking for some suspension suggestions on what to do with my 2000 ws6 my sponsor with the car has asked me what kind of suspension i want to go but i'm not really sure. I do know were wanting a pretty big drop on it as it is a custom show car and will be garage kept for most part so any input you guys can give would be great thanks.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're just looking to drop the car or make it ride/handle better? There are a ton of threads like this on here that can be done by doing a search.

A couple suggestions based on what you said:

Big drop, don't care about ride: Sportlines with stock shocks.

Nice drop, good handling (about the best compromise between big performance increase and still maintain good ride quality): Strano springs with Koni shocks

Big drop with good handling: Strano springs with Koni shocks with the Upper Mount Mod and heater hose

Add an adjustable PHB to center the rear for each of those too. There are many other combinations too, but like I said, elaborating on what you want to do with the car or even a budget would really help.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a fan of Sportlines or any Eibach springs for these cars. And if you actually plan to drive the car Konis are best with any lowering spring. I am partial to stranos and have his springs/bars and UMI panhard w/ konis. Another pic in my garage but other than a well speced coilover setup nothing elese comes close in looks & performance IMO...
Old 09-27-2010, 10:10 PM

oh ok thanks for all the suggestions and well to be honest theres really no set budget my sponsor helps out a ton on price and im a aeronautical engineer for the f35 stealther fighter jet so i make good money to. I cant really discuss much about car yet because we have negotiations going on with a few magazines of doin a shoot on the car but after i get it back it will have about 25k worth of work done and they more just told me to find what i like and to let them know so this is why im asking...
Old 09-27-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you have money to blow

- Strano Springs
- Strano 35mm front and Adjustable rear Sway Bars
- Fays/2 Watts Link in place of the PHB (or get a Midwest Chassis Fab 9" rear with a watts link for $$$)
- Koni Sport Shocks
- LCA Relocation Brackets

Then start adding tubular suspension / chassis parts.....
-
Old 09-27-2010, 11:28 PM

ok awsome ill let them know that set up and see what they think
Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright. Then I suggest not going cheap. It's great to see a show car that looks good, but it's awesome to see a show car that works good. If you're looking for a big drop but want the handling capabilities of a sports car, search for the Upper Mount Mod on here and look into some Koni SA's with good springs (Strano springs are great, or even BMR). However, Strano springs when bought from Sam come with his amazing customer service.

Also, if you want to go all out, skip the PHB and get a Watts link in the back. This way you don't suffer as much from the geometry that a live axle has to offer and it can definitely boost your handling abilities. Also look into Sam's bars, they have a good combination (35/22) and are hollow for weight savings. There are more parts out there, such as a TA, relocation bracket for TA, LCA's, etc., but I think the shocks/springs, bars, and Watts will really make the car wake up.

EDIT: I guess I took too long to post, lol, Thumper got it in before me. But like I said, if the drop from the regular springs aren't enough, there's ways to lower it further without sacrificing driveability.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:07 AM

awsome thanks guy really help all the detailed advice i kind of fell *** backwards into this ws6 and sponsor and now im trying to soak up all the information that i can lol can't wait till its finished though and you all can see it.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Strano also sells the KW Variant 3 Coil-over kit.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
Also take a look at Unbalanced Engineering.
http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/Bilstein/

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 09-28-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:02 PM

Ok for sure I will how much do you think id be looking at for a complete suspension set up?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

If a sponsor's paying for it, it's a show car, and you want huge drop, do a custom 'bagged setup with C4 IRS out back.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:16 PM

they said there wanting to avoid an air bag system and i wld to cuz i do want to be able to drive the car every once in a while
Old 09-28-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

People drive bagged trucks all the time and don't have any problems. If it's done right, there's no reason you couldn't drive on it - and you'd be able to lay out at shows, and lift a bit when driving normally, which is something a static drop won't let you do.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:16 PM

hmm alright well ill bring it up to them and see then cars in paint booth getting sand blasted down and getting prepped for all the paint right now so they told me to just get an idea of what i want so they can get it ordered in and do suspension after the paint part is done. thanks for your thoughts though appreciate it
Old 09-28-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would not want to do a bag setup on anything but a pure show car. If you want the car to drive and handle well, stick with a classic coil over setup.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:40 PM

yeah thats what worried me with the air bag set up because i def still want it to where i can take it out with the girls ceta on a wknd
Old 09-28-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThumperNC24
I would not want to do a bag setup on anything but a pure show car. If you want the car to drive and handle well, stick with a classic coil over setup.
People aren't going to be impressed with a suspension setup that looks, to most people, like powdercoated stock parts. If this is a big-dollar magazine show car, who gives a good damn how it handles - you're not going to get more custom (especially on an f-body) than going 'bagged.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:45 PM

hmmm decisions decisions any members on here got a air bagged T/A would like to see what it looks like on one before i consider doing it.

Quick Reply: suspension suggestions?