Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque Arm Installation Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Torque Arm Installation Help!

I got a new UMI torque arm and am having a little trouble with the clam shell part. I got it unbolted from the transmission, but there seems tobe no room to actually get it out becasue the one bolt that sits under the old bushing makes it hit the body/fuel lines. Are most of you able to get it out of there to remove the rivets or do you just do it on the car? Mine's pretty oily and greesey under there so I don't really like the idea of grinding it on the car, plus there's not much room to work anyway.
Was hoping omseone's got a tip/trick to get it off the car to work in it. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Pull the trans cross-member and get the tail of the trans low enough to do what you need to do.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skopers, funny I am doing the same exact thing you are and I am at the exact stage. Tried pulling out the bracket last night but with the attached thread it won't clear the fuels lines. Take a look at Installuniversity they have a write-up. It is not much help. I'm thinking of getting a dremel up in there tonight and cutting the rivet heads off. I just hope sparks don't ignite all the oil that undercoats my transmission tunnel. I also don't feel like dropping the cross-member, I'll by a Torque arm relo before I resort to that.
Fun stuff!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I actually got it taken care of Sunday, lol. I ended up drilling out the two that are tough to get to. it took an odd angle, but I got them drilled out about half way each and then pounding them out with a screwdriver and hammer. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I'd do it with the bracked bolted tightly to the transmission. I treid it loose, thinking I could have more room to work/a better angle but it vibrated too much and was harder to keep the drill on the rivets. Good luck with the rest of your install - and trust me, it's worth it! I was amazed at the difference it made when I floor the car from a stop. A great upgrade.