Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Horsepower TV's autocross camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats at least the 2nd or 3rd time that show w/the red 4th gen camaro has aired, they seem to be showing a lot of reruns lately and I notice they (powerblocktv) are looking for new people so I wonder who left? I like it but you have to understand who pays for their air time, vendors, enough said. Gearz is good too but most shows are reruns too, he seems to be hit and miss too on new shows?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BillS
Did anyone see this weekends Horsepower TV? They took the SS camaro (4th gen) that they had in storage and decided to make it a "autocross" car. They made the more mistakes than I thought possible. I was laughing as they listed off the parts they were using. They really were just pimping for the sponsors, With no real plan on making the car work. I mean airbags and a carbed LS1 in a 4th gen for autocross? Also Reguardless if you like BMR parts or not, they used parts in the front end That I would not run anywhere but a dragstrip, Manual steering LOL, lets see that turn some 315 R tires. and a lightweight K member and arms that look like they would fold up under R compound grip.
They never did address how they will fit a carb under the cowl, the engine had about 3/4 in of clearance to the cowl to the top of the intake.
I wish they would do more then run a 30 min infomercial
I can't wait to see where they autocross this thing. It won't be anywhere that's very competitive likely not even a local event. Probably a GoodGuys kind of event where what they do isn't really autocrossing but more gymkhana.

I'd *LOVE* for that car to show up and show it's meddle.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-08-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by layz
what kind of roll cage were they using..seemed pretty easy install...
Autopower ... similar to the one used in this car.

http://www.mustang-parts.org/news/wp...-flattened.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the main hoop legs sticking through the floor pan.

This is why bolt in cages are junk.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Courtney Hanson is a good enough reason to watch Horsepower. The DVR is your friend.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Glad I was watching Formula One instead this weekend. Are they going to actually race that Camaro or just talk about how it 'could do'? Better yet, who's gonna drive it?

Maybe they can let Sam & I drive it in the 24 hours of Lemons?????

Stacey David is the real deal. Met him on Power Tour and what a cool guy to talk to!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another +1 for Gearz. Good show.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Element
He seems to know a bit about cars; it's the two garage guys who don't seem to know **** about anything automotive.

The only show I liked watching on that channel was trucks with Stacey - he actually knew his ****, and they did some cool builds. All the other shows seem like 10 minutes of product plugging, and 20 minutes of commercials. Granted, with the range of stuff they work on, one can't expect them to know everything, but common sense would seem to dictate that they at least do a little research on their current "platform in work" before recommending mods.
I with you on the two guys garage show. It succckkss. Every time I see that show on I turn it to a different Channel.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I can't wait to see where they autocross this thing. It won't be anywhere that's very competitive likely not even a local event. Probably a GoodGuys kind of event where what they do isn't really autocrossing but more gymkhana.

Sam, or anyone else. The Camaro Performers "Black Betty" (which IMO is about the dumbest name I've heard for a car. Why do these pro touring guys have to name their cars?), has anyone been following this? When the magazine said they were gonna do a 4th gen project car I thought great! Well, as it turns out its nothing more then a Global West ad. Nick whats-his-name says he wants the "baddest handling 4th gen on the planet". Hmm. Thats odd that they still use stock sway bars and bushings, "snug fitting" 295/35/18 rear tires and Q1A shocks. Didn't see any spring numbers published. From everything I've read here and on Fraxx, this guys along way from the best handling 4th gen on the planet. Sure, its better then stock but not the best. I've been pretty disappointed the last several months with Camaro Performers. High dollar, cookie cutter pro touring cars are getting old. The endless coverage of events that favor pro touring cars (no rules to follow) and those silly Good Guys events are, well...silly. I think the only car (maybe not the only) that actually is SCCA legal would be Mary Pozzi's Camaro. That car I like. She can put a hurtin' on those high dollar cars and her car still has leaf springs. Very cool! I'd really like to see some of these guys step up and go to real motorsport events and compete WTW. They can't because of those pesky rules and the cost of their cars. Time trial events don't count. I like old and new muscle cars and I should really like these pro touring cars for what there capable of, but for whatever reason, there's something about 'em that keeps me from liking them. All this is just my 2 cents...end rant.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

careful what you wish for. after they put the thing together, they might approach mr 5 year winning streak with a sack of cash.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I doubt it... Even if they did I wouldn't drive it. It's not competitive anywhere with the mods it has (not even close) and it's not a very good setup anyway (stock rear shocks, a drag race type K-member, etc. etc).
Old 11-10-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
Sam, or anyone else. The Camaro Performers "Black Betty" (which IMO is about the dumbest name I've heard for a car. Why do these pro touring guys have to name their cars?), has anyone been following this? When the magazine said they were gonna do a 4th gen project car I thought great! Well, as it turns out its nothing more then a Global West ad. Nick whats-his-name says he wants the "baddest handling 4th gen on the planet". Hmm. Thats odd that they still use stock sway bars and bushings, "snug fitting" 295/35/18 rear tires and Q1A shocks. Didn't see any spring numbers published. From everything I've read here and on Fraxx, this guys along way from the best handling 4th gen on the planet. Sure, its better then stock but not the best. I've been pretty disappointed the last several months with Camaro Performers. High dollar, cookie cutter pro touring cars are getting old. The endless coverage of events that favor pro touring cars (no rules to follow) and those silly Good Guys events are, well...silly. I think the only car (maybe not the only) that actually is SCCA legal would be Mary Pozzi's Camaro. That car I like. She can put a hurtin' on those high dollar cars and her car still has leaf springs. Very cool! I'd really like to see some of these guys step up and go to real motorsport events and compete WTW. They can't because of those pesky rules and the cost of their cars. Time trial events don't count. I like old and new muscle cars and I should really like these pro touring cars for what there capable of, but for whatever reason, there's something about 'em that keeps me from liking them. All this is just my 2 cents...end rant.
Do you have something in particular you don't like about the pro-touring cars? The term is applied vaguely, but I get what most of them are trying to achieve. A balance between achieving modern ride + performance in a classic muscle car on par with a modern "street legal car", not really an all out race car. Though some are, bad penny etc.

Didn't hear about black betty or the 4th gen. Do you have a link?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sometimes it's hard to watch those automotive shows, I can't stop correcting them.

Also, a black betty 4th gen? Now I have ram jam stuck in my head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMLnDuzgkjo
Old 11-10-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My issue with Pro-touring cars is that they have gone the same way pro-street cars did in the 90's. they end up being the overdone trailer queens that win shows, but never have their mega dollar tech tested in any way
Old 11-10-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can see your point in that there is a pretense of performance, specifically with PT cars aimed at the track, with out any evidence to back it up. I do like some of the PT cars, with stated goal of those cars being modern ride, updated interiors, and improved "street" performance. I don't follow any of the racing scene, as it doesn't interest me.

There are events in the PT world where you have to drive your pride to prove that it works on the street and will hold up. Obviously that doesn't wash on this board (except maybe in the appearance section), but that's because the stated goal of a project is completely different.

To that point, there may be many race cars that put up phenomenal numbers on the track, but I wouldn't want to ride in any of them. On the pothole hell of the street they would likely be damned unpleasant.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BillS
My issue with Pro-touring cars is that they have gone the same way pro-street cars did in the 90's. they end up being the overdone trailer queens that win shows, but never have their mega dollar tech tested in any way
Not all.... Check this out http://www.lateral-g.net/
Old 11-10-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Heat Seeker WS6
Not all.... Check this out http://www.lateral-g.net/
Yah I've been on that board for a while too. I don't really follow it closely, but every one loves Bad Penny it seems, on there and over on pro-touring.com.

I think the owner is on this board also.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lo...challenge.html
Old 11-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Teching In

The best thing these shows could do would be to give a Camaro to Sam Strano, bring cameras and "talent" spokespeople, and then sit back and watch and learn how to prepare one of these cars right. What's cool about Sam is he can recommend parts and knows what they do plus what you'll feel from the driver's seat after they're installed. Many years of education and knowledge here and he's helped me a lot. There's no one better ...

I also feel the same way about naming cars. The painter/fabricator/"fill in the blank" here named mine "Jenny Craig" as it's on a huge diet but for me, my Camaro will always be the red (now orange ...) car.

And thanks for the nice compliment about my car. Appreciate the kind words ...

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi
Old 11-10-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

lees02WS6, I guess part of it is the money spent on some of these cars. You spend enough money on well engineered suspension and drop in a 500 or 600 hp engine and you have a street legal race car. I've always been kind of a cheap skate so I can't relate to a $50,000-$100,000 (or more) Camaro. Don't get me wrong, they are great cars but I can't relate to them. Another thing is some of the attitudes displayed by a few people on ProTouring.com and lateral-g.net. There's some people over there that think these cars are the best things since sliced bread. I remember someone starting a thread titled something like 'our cars are faster then race cars'. A time sheet was displayed with a T1 Corvette at the top and some pro touring car was a few seconds slower. I'm not familiar with T1 rules but there are no rules for pro touring cars. Show up with 600 hp and 345 tires...no problem. You can set up a pro touring car to be fast for a lap or two but how about for 30 minutes. It's not really an apples to apples comparison in my opinion. As far as 'Black Betty' I don't have any links. It's been in a couple of the last issues of Camaro Performers magazine. Anybody with common sense wouldn't follow the advice in those articles.

Mary Pozzi, again, I love your car. Please don't go the Bad Penny or Jack *** route with it. Keep it 'real' with leaf springs. LOL!!!

BillS, I don't think all are like pro street. Some of those guys do beat on their cars pretty good! I was at a local car show during the summer and some guy never moved his pro touring car from his spot. But that didn't stop him from starting it up and revving the crap out of it.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by mary pozzi
The best thing these shows could do would be to give a Camaro to Sam Strano, bring cameras and "talent" spokespeople, and then sit back and watch and learn how to prepare one of these cars right. What's cool about Sam is he can recommend parts and knows what they do plus what you'll feel from the driver's seat after they're installed. Many years of education and knowledge here and he's helped me a lot. There's no one better ...

I also feel the same way about naming cars. The painter/fabricator/"fill in the blank" here named mine "Jenny Craig" as it's on a huge diet but for me, my Camaro will always be the red (now orange ...) car.

And thanks for the nice compliment about my car. Appreciate the kind words ...

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi
Hey Mary--

Welcome (and where have you been you have an LS1 car!).

Thank you for the compliment, after all you are now a big TV star Mary is another example showing what an good autocrosser can do with a car. Someone pointed out that her car isn't as "done up" as others, yet when it came time to show it's handling, she was right there. But her car lacks a lot of power compared to some of those others and that shows up on a race track (last week a guy Mary and I know took a car to a track with a less powerful engine and lost 8 seconds a lap). And fwiw, the car that won the Ultimate Street Car Challenge... was also driven by an extremely well known Solo driver named Jim McKamey (the man who taught me much of what I know about driving a car).

Mary, wouldn't you agree that what makes a good autocross car often makes for an excellent street car? There are exceptions of course, some folks just make their stuff way, WAY too stiff. I know I can hop in my 2001 Camaro and drive for hours and hours and it's no more tiring (actually less so) than driving my 2010 Dodge truck, my winter beater BMW 325is... and the Camaro is about the same as driving my Mustang, which is a 2011 car. But the Camaro has stiffer springs, bigger swaybars, a Watts link, a race seat (much better than stock for support...), stiffer bushings..... But none of that stuff is off the charts and the result is a car that is responsive and well balanced--but still compliant and more than little tolerable on the street.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

"what makes a good autocross car often makes for an excellent street car?"

There is a swath of area being covered in a statement like that. That's something that is relative to individual taste. Someone who thinks land yachts are excellent street cars probably wouldn't think too highly of autocross cars, even well set up ones. Then there's everyone in between those limits.

Quick Reply: Horsepower TV's autocross camaro